Vertical Flip of PNG Image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vertical Flip of PNG Image

The vertical flip does an extra horizontal flip.
    Try a .PNG image with texts in it. You'll see it is not only upside-down but also left-right reversed.

It looks right to me, though what I did not expect is that there is no undo for flip operations.
    Attached Files
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Turning upside down is not a vertical flip, Cybernetic. Upside down is a 180 degree rotation. For that you apply two 90 degree rotations either right or left. Rotations are made about an axis at right angles to the screen. Flips are not rotations. They are transforms about an axis in the plane of the screen and do, in the process, produce what we call mirror images.
      We are used to visualising a horizontal flip because we do it whenever we look in a mirror. We imagine we see a person who has turned through 180 degrees to face us and then apply a horizontal flip to the image. We would find it much harder to imagine that they stood on their head to face us and then apply a vertical flip to the image.

You do not need an undo for a horizontal or vertical flip, Bhikkhu. They are reversible. Just apply the same flip again and you are back where you started. Left and right rotations do not have an undo either, because they are reversible by pressing the opposite rotation. That principle is not entirely consistent in Irfanview though. Negative does have an undo even though that is easily reversed by applying it again. The worst one without an undo is Swap colors. It is possible to get back to where you started but finding the correct one of the 6 different color combinations again can be quite tiresome.

Comment

Ahhhh, thanks, Mij, for explaining!!

What I needed was rotate 180 degrees, but I used vertical flip.

Comment

Working...
        X