IV 4.33 PDF Save error !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IV 4.33 PDF Save error !

Two computers, both running Windows 7 64-bit, IrfanView 4.33 and all plugins.

One, older AMD processor, 4 cores, Save as PDF works fine. IMPDF listed as installed, version 0.89.

Two, newer Intel processor, 8 cores, Save as PDF fails with PDF Save error ! -- but the options dialog didn't come up either... IMPDF listed, but no version listed.

Seeing the test version being recommended for IV 4.32, I tried that version (although it is newer than when the recommendation was made) and manually copied IMPDF in the test\plugins directory. The test version list IMPDF as version 0.89, but still doesn't display the options dialog, and produces the PDF Save error !.

Any clues as to how to diagnose this?

Sorry no. In the moment there is no idea if this is a plugin, an Irfanview or even a W7 update issue. W7 and some virus protection tools add code to the entrance point of dlls to protect the system against malware. In the moment we could just tell, keep your system up to date and use the newest releases of the plugin (0.90) and Irfanview.

The test version is always the newest Irfanview version plus fixes or extensions. So don't be surprised if it is newer than the latest release.

Comment

Well, the old machine installed 7 W7 updates when I shut it down after my prior test... but it can still save PDF files, so I guess it is not those 7 W7 updates causing the problem.

There are likely a fair number of differences in the software installed on the two machines; one notable difference is that the one that works has Avast installed, and the one that doesn't work has AVG installed. Of course, I can't decide that that is the difference, but I could uninstall Avast and install AVG on the machine that is working, to see if I can make it fail...

Comment

Avast removed, AVG installed, saving PDF files still works on that machine.

Poked around and found comsquare's forum, and the 0.90 download of IMPDF, and that works in the test version of IrfanView from a couple days ago.

Once that worked, I copied 0.90 to the default installation of IrfanView 4.33, and that also seems to work.

While playing in the test version, I noticed that IrfanView's options dialog didn't contain all the tabs for IMPDF settings, just two tabs were visible, and the rest came up in a second pop-up dialog after selecting Save. But when I put it in IrfanView 4.33, all the tabs were visible in the initial options dialog at Save time. I'm curious why the difference?

But mainly I'm glad it is working! (on the new machine, where it hadn't been)

Comment

Two or more tabs depends on the preview setting on the 'General' tab.

Comment

I'm also having an error when saving as a pdf:

Error! Can't save: C:\Users\MyAccount\Documents\08-08-2012\AccessionRecord1276-65.pdf
            1 Files - Errors: 1, Warnings: 0

This is a new Windows 7 PC, about 2 weeks old. I've been able to save as pdf several times up to a few days ago. Right NOW, clicking on "installed plugins...", this plugin is shown as IMPDF.DLL but it does not show a version number.

Here's a short history of my experience with the plugin:
            I have downloaded all the plugins offered through the plugin download on irfanview website. I noticed the version of this plugin was 0.89. after saving several bmp files as pdf files, exit irfanview, restart it, and attempt to save as pdf, the IMPDF.DLL somehow gets changed (no version number listed, and I get the error).

I have saved a copy of the Version 0.89 IMPDF.DLL elsewhere. By copying the copy back into the plugin folder, it works again.... until you exit irfanview. The next time irfanview is started, the error appears when saving as a pdf.

I checked the website for comsquare ("maker" of the plugin) and noticed their current version is 0.90, which is newer than the one offered through the plugin download on irfanview website. I downloaded the version 0.90 ... but the same things happens. Works once. If you exit irfanview, restart irfanview and try to save a pdf again, the error re-appears.

Since this is a new PC, I also have a copy of the older IMPDF.DLL file from my old XP on an external HD. Think it was version 0.84 . I tried that one, but the same thing happens. Works once... error reappears the next time irfanview is started and I want to save as a pdf.

I have ZoneAlarm Pro, AVG, and SecureAnywhere. I will attempt to disable these temporarily and see if the problem goes away. I need irfanview to convert several hundred more bmp files as pdf, about 20 at a time. I hope there is an easy fix for this problem.

Comment

Working...
            X