Animate GIFs displayed distortedly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Animate GIFs displayed distortedly

It seems IrfanView has a problem displaying a certain kind of animated GIF files.

Screenshot of the erratic IrfanView behavior:

Click image for larger version

Name:	irfanview-animated-gif-problem.png
Views:	1
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	84555

Other programs don't have this problem, such as PowerPoint and IE9.
    Screenshot of IE9 showing the correct behavior:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ie9-animated-gif-no-problem.png
Views:	1
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	84556

Unfortunately I couldn't attach the GIF to this post, as it was magically transformed into a JPG file during the forum upload process (an undocumented feature?).

I talked to the developer who creates the GIF files. The explanation is that in order to save on the size of the GIF file, only specific portions of the frames are drawn. According to the developer this is common practice.

Have other IrfanView users run into this type of problem? Is there a solution, or a work-around? Should this be considered to be a bug? I'd very much like to use IrfanView's capability to generate a slideshow of multiple GIF files, but the way the animations look now, I cannot use this feature.

Much appreciative for any ideas / suggestions.

Try setting the IrfanView main window colour to something other than black. Options, Viewing.
    Attached Files
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Sorry to say: There is an issue w/ disposal methods. Email Irfan about your issue. Attach a .zip if the gif doesn't work in the forum.
      I'm just doing PDNAnimator to create apngs and agifs via Paint.NET. Maybe we could then provide new Irfanview plugins for these animation formats.
      Or put a little bit more presure on Irfan to support them ;-)

Comment

Working...
      X