Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved Converting JPG to PDF changes resolution and DPI

Hi

I have a .jpg which has a resolution of 6438 x 4782 and a DPI of 200. When I convert this to .pdf in IrfanView, it changes the resolution to 3090 x 2295 and the DPI to 96. I have gone through all the settings to make sure no scaling is taking place, but to no avail.

Does anyone know why this would be happening? Do .pdfs have a maximum resolution or something? Or maybe there is something deeper in the settings I need to change to prevent this?

I am doing this on a Windows 7 64bit machine, but have also tried it on a Windows XP machine and got the same result. I have the 4.33 plugins and Ghostscript installed.

Any help is much appreciated.

I guess there is a small missunderstanding.
    A PDF is a vector format. This means there are no pixels or resolutions.
    To open the pdf Irfanview calls ghostscript and asks to render the pdf using a dpi value. The result will be a pixel bitmap.
    Options->Properties->Plugins->Postscript Options allows you to select the dpi value used to render.

Comment

How are you measuring the DPI and size of the image in the PDF file?

If you open a PDF in IrfanView it is opened at the DPI setting used in Options, Plugins, Postscript options, which is 96 dpi by default.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Ah, I see! Thank you both very much for the information. That has totally solved my problem!

Comment

Working...
        X