Problem when I hit video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem when I hit video

My camera does not differentiat between pictures and video files when it is used to either take pictures or video, it sequentially numbers them and applies the appropriate .jpg or .avi extension but the important thing is that they all exist in the same upload folder that the camera software uses to transfer files to.

The problem...

Some of these avi files are large, a short 20 seconds or so for example will be 20 odd mega bytes which is not too much of a problem when irfranview reads it BUT the big problem is that irfranview locks up the computer with very large files that are a few minutes long and they average anything above 250mb.

I have to resort to killing the irfranview process in the task manager to regain control of my PC as it won't do much because of the severe amount of clock cycles it is consuming.

What I suggest is to have the first frame shown as a picture with a play symbol that is clicked to play the video and also the devs look in to offering up the video to be played in a media player that does not seem to suffer the problem of locking the computer up or the devs alter the video playback of irfranview to operate like a media player as this is a clear issue that needs to be addressed.

Out of preference I would like to have the option to play or skip past video files because of this problem with the way irfranview deals with video files.

It might be an idea to either read the RIFF or extension of the file and deal with appropriately.

Incase anyone is thinking bottlenecks...

The computer I have is an intel dual core machine running at 3.2 Ghz
    It has 2 Gigs of DDR2 RAM (Maximum amount it can take)
    the boot drive is a SSD.
    Video card is an Nvidea chipset (onboard)

You can filter out video file types in Properties, Extensions so that IrfanView doesn't attempt to load videos when browsing folders. Use Windows Media Player or similar to browse your videos, or just drag and drop them the IrfanView when you want to view them.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      You can filter out video file types in Properties, Extensions so that IrfanView doesn't attempt to load videos when browsing folders. Use Windows Media Player or similar to browse your videos, or just drag and drop them the IrfanView when you want to view them.
      Not exctly what I was pointing out, I have to kill irfranview in the task manager because it is locking up my computer. Therefore its got some form of bug and the build I am using is 4.33

Moving the files is not an option because that then messes up the Nikon software.

What I suggested was the developers add in this simple feature that I am sure many people would welcome.

Comment

The Irfanview viewer itself does not play video files. You choose which player is used to play videos in the Video/Sound tab of the Options. Which one have you selected?

Irfanview player, which is a plugin, is not a full featured player and is probably only intended for small video clips. I have seen "Irfanview not responding messages" when trying to play large videos using that. Sometimes the forward or back keys or mouse clicks are intercepted by the player so you cannot move to the previous or next slide using the Irfanview viewer until the video player has been killed, but pressing the ESC key usually allows you to do that.

Comment

Working...
        X