Why does crop not crop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported Why does crop not crop?

I just recently created a flickr account.

I spent an hour cropping and resizing files and setting the orientation of images that I wanted to crop and resize and rotated.

They looked fine on my computer, exactly as I intend them to look.

Uploading to flickr showed me that none of the files I had prepared were cropped as I intended them to be cropped but showed them as they originally were.

It wasn't until I had completed the upload that the images were shown cropped and in the proper orientation as I had intended.

So this raises the question of the cropping function in irfranview.

Does this function only set the image viewport or is this indication of a bug?

Did you miss the step to save the file after cropping?
    Only some lossless operations on jpegs are modifying the file. All others just the bitmap in memory.

Comment

I save to a separate folder the files I have processed, I NEVER save over the originals, always save in a different location, actually on a different hard drive.

The problem is that the images show up as they were originally before processing in flickr and when they are uploaded they then show in the orientation and size they were cropped and rotated to.

This raises the question of how irfranview deals with images as I want to physically crop them so that they will remain that specific size and not as it has just been illustrated to me by flickr, the desired crop can be ignored.

You may want to try this yourself on flickr to witness it first hand and then you will see exactly what I am referring to.

Comment

If you are opening the cropped and saved files in Irfanview then they should show the new size.
        If there is an issue with flickr then you should ask in a flickr user group.

Comment

I assume that flickr displays the embedded thumbs while the upload is in progress.

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Hi.

I've encountered same type of problem a while ago. I was uploading/updating some pictures that had some minor changes (but same file path) to some web forum.
            After uploading the new files, I discovered that the files wasn't changed at all on the forum.

I later learned that this is due to server and web browser caching, wich reuse older files.

A workaround is to move the files to another folder.
            If it hurts not to drint, don't waste the bottle then.

Comment

Working...
            X