Camera serial number in EXIF data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camera serial number in EXIF data

I cannot see the serial number of the camera in the EXIF data, the data is there because it is visible in other applications. The search facility is great but I need to search images in my library using the serial number. Is there a plugin that reads all the EXIF data?

Thank you for accepting me in this forum, it is my first post. I am a camera technician dealing with many different cameras everyday and have a huge picture library from hundreds of different cameras, often the same or similar models.

I don't have a camera so I have only a few RAW files that I downloaded from various sites.

According to the help file the code for the camera serial number is;
    $E120- * * * *Camera Serial Number
    This seems to work for me in the IrfanView Status line. Please try entering this code in the Thumbnails Options dialogue to show the desired Exif information in the Thumbnail view.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I think that $E120 code is only for Canon cameras. Looking at the EXIF data in images from various cameras I have owned none of them display a serial number in Irfanview using that code although from one of them, an Olympus, a serial number is shown by Exif Pilot.

This thread mentions that Canon provides a utility allowing owners to enter their own name and the camera serial number so that it is included in the Exif data. I notice that my own name is shown in Irfanview Exif data of images taken by my old Canon (which was only a basic compact model), so I must have entered that at some time even though I cannot recall doing so. Presumably I did not enter the serial number though, even if that feature was available.

Comment

Some great tips here but still having problems revealing the Serial Number info that I know is in the Exif data. Using a DNG image as a base line I can reveal the serial number In Lightroom 4 in the loupe feature and in Photoshop 4 the data is deep within the Exif data. However when I set the Thumbnails in Irfanview to reveal Exif data ($Ex) the serial number is not included in that data.
        I also checked the $E120 with various camera brands including Canon and no data was revealed.
        Here is a screen grab of the Exif data that is revealed in Photoshop of a sample image showing how the data is stored.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Exif.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	80830

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Guru View Post
          Here is a screen grab of the Exif data that is revealed in Photoshop of a sample image showing how the data is stored.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]3345[/ATTACH]
          This is exif embedded in xmp embedded in the image.
          As far as I know Irfanview understands Exif and IPTC but not XMP. So if Exif is embedded in the XMP block it is not visible to the application because it does not follow the Exif specification. It is Exif translated somehow to XML.
          XMP is a standard introduced by Adobe which allows to embed metadata in different image formats like gif, png, tiff, psd, ...

Comment

Working...
          X