Problem sorting thumbnails in Irfanview Thumbnails Ver. 4.33

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pending Problem sorting thumbnails in Irfanview Thumbnails Ver. 4.33

When I try to sort thumbnails in IrfanView Thumnbails Ver. 4.33 by EXIF date, nothing happens. I am using Windows XP. The way I try to do it as I always have is to go to OPTIONS - Sort Thumbnails - by EXIF date (date taken).
    I just noticed this in Ver. 4.33. I know for a fact that it does NOT happen in 4.23 and 4.25. I don't recall if this was a bug in versions between 4.25 and 4.33.
    I use this function so I can rename photos which have been taken by two or more cameras and are in one directory. I sort by EXIF Date and then do a batch sequential rename.
    Currently I have Ver 4.23 installed on another PC and I use that version to perform the action I need. Are you aware of this problem?

Also is it possible to install and run more than one version of IrfanView on one PC?

Thanks

Sort by EXIF date appears to work OK for images taken with my present cameras. On those the Exif Date/time (what is displayed in Full screen by selecting $E306) is always exactly the same as the Date/time digitised ($E36868).
    I have noticed though that for images taken with an old camera I used to own that it sometimes appears to have recorded Date/time digitised as 0000:00:00 00:00:00 despite having recorded the correct $E306 Date/time. Those images are always placed in a block at the end when Sorting by EXIF date and are not always sorted into the correct order even within that block.

You can install multiple copies of Irfanview on a PC as long as they are all in different folders. Save the second and any further copies into folders where you have full write access such as in your User folder or a Public folder or on a removable drive. Then the options can be stored in an INI file in the same folder as the corresponding EXE programs and are fully independent in operation. Check that you you have the setting "Only 1 instance of Irfanview is active" unchecked in the "Start/Exit" tab of Properties/Settings for all the copies though. Otherwise opening that copy will close all the others.

Comment

IrfanView (through EXIF properties of images), my camera and many other photo editing programs (Photoshop etc) all show a "filled in" tiem of when the photo was taken; indeed the time shown from all sources is the same; yet Irfnaview Thumbnails still does not sort based on that piece of information. I consider this to be a bug given that previous version did this just. fine. By the way; thanks for the information regarding running multiple version on the same PC. For the moment it seems to be the only work-around I have for this bug in the latest version of IrfanView. I would love to have feedback from the developers regarding this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by nikoalex View Post
        I would love to have feedback from the developers regarding this issue.
        Irfanview has only one developer for the main program and that is the originator of the program, Irfan Skiljan. If you believe that the behavior has changed from the previous version then you can email him directly. His email address can be found on the main www.irfanview.com website.

Comment

Has anyone else on this forum noticed this bug or "loss in functionality" or is it only me?

Comment

No, I had the same problem. Tried un-installing and re-installing V4.33 with no luck. Because this is a feature I use a lot, I uninstalled V4.33 and re-installed V4.32 and the sorting by EXIF date taken works again.

Comment

Hello everybody

I asked Irfan via e-mail and within a very short time I got a solution.
              The EXIF option within the thumbnails has to be ticked off, as it does have a bug.
              Then just refresh all pictures (I missed that before asking) and then it will be sorted as descripted.

Regards
              Patrik

Comment

Working...
              X