Multiple view pane settings, suppressing view pane border

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple view pane settings, suppressing view pane border

Firstly, as many forum posters say I am sure, what a wonderful product this is - my sincere gratitude to Irfan for this fantastic piece of software. Every now and then I update my version, and try a few of the new features, and am always amazed at the new functionality. My latest toy is the OCR plugin, which I hope does better than my freeocr.exe, which has been creaking a bit lately.

Q1) Is there any way for IrfanView to save the four size and position attributes with multiple open instances of IrfanView, so these don't have to be setup manually each time? (It took ages to arrange these 9 so neatly, now I have to keep my PC on permanently to continue studies on frame sequences!)

Q2) I have switched off all the caption, toolbar, menu, status lines - but would also like to disable the frame border. Have looked in the .ini file, and also in registry, for this setting but cannot find it. Any ideas if IrfanView itself can do this (maybe a new feature request)?

I have just seen that this forum allows attachments, which I have done, but I leave the imgur link in, in the event that there is a problem loading the jpg, and it provides a link to my next, related post.

Please refer to screen capture of 9 collaged IrfanView panes in
    http://imgur.com/a/abDqF
    (Note it is the 2nd image in this album)
    (For question around first image, see next post "Raw pixel display of Jpeg images?" )
    This image shows a 3x3 arrangement of 9 I-View panes, with all of the I-View "system stuff" switched off in order to see the collage of frames better.

Software Context
    IrfanView Ver 4.25
    Plugins Ver 4.28
    Win-XP Pro S.P.3

Related posts (which do not answer the questions above)

Centering image & remembering position in 100% zoomNeed help on Window size and positionProblem with "remember the last window/size position"Ability to batch position images on a fixed canvas sizeStandardizing window size for image viewing
    Attached Files

Welcome to the forum:

FreeOCR is actually better than the Kadmos Plugin.

Q1: The best I can think of is to minimise all other apps, open your nine images in IrfanView (the IV shortcut can be set to hide the window furniture), then tile them from the Windows taskbar.

Q2: Windows borders cannot be disabled except in slideshows, which are centred on the screen. The window application border is set in Windows Appearance. Minimum value is 1 + shadow in XP.

A much better application would be the free PagePlus Starter Edition
    1. Insert a rectangular picture frame
    2. Replicate it to get 3x3 grid or whatever you need
    3. Import your images into the media bar at the bottom of the window
    4. Autoflow the images through the nine frames
    5. Zoom as you need to and save the publication as a template
    6. Load more images, drag and drop to the picture frames.

IrfanView 4.33 is the current version.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 19.09.2012, 01:06 PM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions.
      Re:Tiling windows from taskbar
      Minimized all except the 9 images, right clicked on taskbar, but the Tiling and Cascading options remain greyed out? (Image 1 attached)
      Re:Window Borders and 3D Shadow
      Desktop [Right Click [Properties [Display [Appearance [Advanced [Item [Active Window Border]
      [Inactive Window Border]
      were both set to 1 pixel,

No shadow setting, but the following already had no width setting
      [3D objects]

I looked at the borders between my I-View images, the two concatenated borders seem to have a total width of 8 pixels - why not just 2? Not a lot on my 1024 pix wide screen, but irritating enough.

I can look at "PagePlus Starter Edition", but I suspect that this will not suit for 2 reasons :-
      1. The I-View windows are "live", in the sense that <space>|<backspace> scroll through the still images of the video in sequence, so I can choose which set of 9 I need to capture to make the point. While I could drag and drop these to the P+SE media bar, I would still have to choose them using I-View, and this is not as convenient as choosing on the fly.
        '
      2. Sometimes I want to use insets (zoom inside another image), rather than strictly non-overlapped images - I suspect that this may not be supported by P+SE.

But maybe the answer lies in here

... the IV shortcut can be set to hide the window furniture ...
      Could I not create 9 shortcuts to IView.exe, each one fine tuned in terms of hiding the furniture as you suggest, and also specifying the window size and position? I will try this shortly.

IrfanView 4.33 is the current version.
      Thanks - I downloaded this a little while before posting. I read the update history (merging the old_history and the update notes for the present revision into one html file - surely that is industry standard?), and decided that nothing since Ver 4.25 would influence my post, so have postponed running its setup.

FreeOCR is actually better than the Kadmos Plugin.
      The former has lately been giving me some very strange results, with pretty benign text. I have also noticed that if I crop window's borders and other guff from a screen capture, FreeOCR gets extremely confused - I rather use screen captures exactly as is. I haven't tried Kadmos yet.
      Attached Files

Comment

1. Tiling Windows from the taskbar fails if the caption is hidden
        2. PPSE — You can fill the media bar with a whole folder of images, and autoflow the first nine. After that its drag and drop from the media bar to replace any image with another one
        3. Zooming in to any image or panning is no problem.
        4. Shortcut properties to launch IV cannot specify the window position AFAIK — only you can disable the furniture to save one step.
        5. So, unless you can solve the tile windows problem, I think PagePlus is more suitable for the task because the picture frames stay wherever you put them and have no borders. However, depends on what you have to do after comparing them. The free version doesn't have any export picture options.
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 19.09.2012, 04:49 PM.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

It is not fully clear to me exactly what you are trying to do, but picking up on some of the issues that have been raised, the following might be useful to know.

1. The INI file, i_view32.ini can be modified while Irfanview is running either by running a script file (bat, cmd, vbs, js, ps1, or many others) or editing directly with Notepad or similar text editor. Irfanview instances currently running continue with their existing window size and positions, assuming a Fit to window option is being used. Any new instances started will run with the amended size and position.

2. Settings in the INI file can be used to hide the various display bars (caption, menu, tool and status). This has already been discussed. I believe these will persist if the INI is edited whilst running as above, although I have not tried it recently. You can also use Command line options to launch new instances with various bars hidden. You cannot hide the frame of the normal Irfanview viewing window though.

3. You can also launch multiple copies of slideshows, which in the current version of Irfanview can be displayed in a frameless window of any size and in any position. These again remain as currently set if the INI file is edited or changes are made in the Slideshow dialog but subsequent instances start in new positions. The files to be shown (which can be either a folder or a list) also remain with the instance in which they were started and, if started to advance automatically, will continue to do so whilst those that were not can be moved forward or back by clicking on them with left or right mouse buttons. Note that the list of file names that are to be played are frozen (and resaved as Slideshow.lst) at the time the show is started, not when the instance is launched. The contents of the files can of course be changed "on the fly" with Windows Explorer, and Irfanview will display whatever is in the named file when it comes to it. You can also launch slideshows directly from a Command line although options are limited to the Folder or List to be displayed and whether to reload from Slideshow.lst on loop. Window size and position cannot be specified in the Command line options.

4. You can save the current INI file at any time and rename it as you wish. You can subsequently specify that INI file to be used when you launch a new instance from the Command line.

5. If you have fixed collections of images that you want to show you could also consider saving them as an Irfanview executable slideshow. You can then specify the window size and position when you launch from a command line.

Comment

Thanks for both your feedback - sorry to take so long to respond, have been tied up with a trade show last week.

I had also figured that the .INI file might be the way to go (logical progression after the windows shortcut was found wanting). I guess that I could find some tips on this in the other posts, but since I am short of time, this is where I got to in 1/2 hour of trials this afternoon:

Works :

i_view32.ini
            [StatusBar]
            Text=$M
            Active=0 ./
            [WinPosition]
            xKoord=382 ./
            yKoord=0 ./
            Width=495
            Height=354 ./
            Maximized=0 ./
            [ToolBar]
            Active=0 ./
            Note : ./ indicates a tick in the box for this setting's functionality

Does not work:

i_view32.ini
            [WinPosition]
            Width=495
            If you set this less than 495, or manually shrink the window, exit (updating INI file)
            then this does set this param to whatever the pane was on exit, however on re-opening
            it is reset to 495 as the minimum value
            [CaptionBar] : I guessed this tag name
            Active=0
            Not respected, so what is the correct tag name ?
            [MenuBar] : ditto
            Active=0
            ditto

It is not fully clear to me exactly what you are trying to do
            The screen shot attached to the first post illustrates by example what my intent is.

The advice on invoking IrfanView with specified INI filenames is better than my solution of 9 separate folders with hardlinks to the EXE picking up the default INI filename. I'll play with slideshow settings, particularly with respect to specifying the 9 starting filenames - that would be neat.

> PPSE is the way to go

I'll keep that as plan B for now, I have so many installed apps on my PC that the uninstall list covers the screen three deep. I am trying to avoid apps for apps sake

P.S. - Interesting to have replies from both East London and Camberley, have stayed in both many years ago (Gonubie resort, and just round the corner from the Sandhurst Academy, just of London Rd (A30) and thus only about 5 miles from Farnborough airfield).

Comment

Working...
            X