Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the version of the WebP encoder used by the current version of Irfanview?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved What's the version of the WebP encoder used by the current version of Irfanview?

Is it the latest version? (Current latest version is 0.2.0 released August 16, 2012: https://code.google.com/p/webp/downloads/list )

Originally posted by dazed View Post
    Is it the latest version? (Current latest version is 0.2.0 released August 16, 2012: https://code.google.com/p/webp/downloads/list )
    May I ask you: You need webp to do what?

Comment

Originally posted by impdf View Post
      May I ask you: You need webp to do what?
      To save some of my BMP and PNG images to a more hard disk space-friendly format, while preserving as much quality as possible. May I ask why you need this info?

Comment

I also like WebP as the files are smaller than JPG for a similar quality. I am certain that the library used is the latest one since IrfanView 4.33 was released on 28th March 2012, long before the latest WebP library.

The question to ask is not “Why do you need WebP,” which should be obvious, but “What is new in the latest library that you need?”
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I can't see any advantage to use a format which is just under development. It took google a long time to go from 0.1 to 0.2 and a lot of stuff promised is still not in. The difference in size between png and a lossless webp is not so big. I'm pretty sure that Irfan will update once to 0.2 because it is not too much work but there are more important things to do than to support webp which is not usable on the web.

Comment

I can't see any advantage to use a format which is just under development.... There are more important things to do than to support webp which is not usable on the web.
            This is a matter of opinion.

I was just asking the version of the WebP encoder used by the current version of Irfanview. I don't really want to go into a long-winded discussion on whether WebP is not usable (which I disagree) - please make another thread for that. It is support by Chrome and Opera natively (and with a plugin/extension on other browsers). It has a codec for Windows and is supported by Irfanview. It saves me disk space at equal or better quality than JPEG. My concern is with storing some of my BMP and PNG images to a smaller file size while preserving as much quality as possible, and sharing images with other people that also use software that supports WebP (like Irfanview). Sounds 'usable' to me.

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
            I also like WebP as the files are smaller than JPG for a similar quality. I am certain that the library used is the latest one since IrfanView 4.33 was released on 28th March 2012, long before the latest WebP library.
            I see. Do you know if Irfanview's WebP library can be updated to use the latest version of the WebP decoder/encoder?

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
            The question to ask is not “Why do you need WebP,” which should be obvious, but “What is new in the latest library that you need?”
            My concern is mainly the optimizations (disk space use, quality, etc.) made in the later versions in saving and opening WebP files. There are more info about that here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebP and possibly here: https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/community

It took google a long time to go from 0.1 to 0.2
            Another reason for updating. This means that there were a lot of improvements.

Comment

You are asking in a way which tells that you already know that Irfanview does not provide the current version.
              You are pointing to software on the google developer site.
              This is the tpyical way how google fellowers (some of them paid) try to push the support by the community.
              People reading this thread should know this.

Comment

You are asking in a way which tells that you already know that Irfanview does not provide the current version.
                You are pointing to software on the google developer site.
                People reading this thread should know this.
                I will not waste my time posting here if I already know the answer to my question. I genuinely wanted to know the answer to my question as I didn't know the version of the WebP encoder used by Irfanview. I'm pointed to Google's website, because Google *is the developer* of the WebP format (the topic of my question).

This is the tpyical way how google fellowers (some of them paid) try to push the support by the community.
                Not sure if you're trolling. You have zero evidence of this. Stop putting down forum posters and falsely accusing people of being Google "fellowers". You have been very unhelpful in this thread. FYI, Irfanview already supports WebP, I was just asking for info about the version of WebP encoder it is using.

Comment

The question was answered, and the thread has been resolved. There is not much to be gained by engaging in a slanging match, so thread closed.
                  Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
                  X