Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Command Line Script using RIOT Plug in

Hi All,

I know that this is not where this belongs, but I have to ask it where I have permission to start a new thread, as I cannot in the Command Line Scripts forum.

Is there a way to use the RIOT Plug In in a command line script? If so, what is the command and what are the parameters?

Thank you,
    Stan...

I am sorry for the runaround you have had on this, Stan. It does not look as though we are going to get a result about Restricted forum areas from the Feedback thread.

However having seen what it is that you actually want to ask, I should probably have suggested that you posted it in the Riot thread here.
    You may also notice there, in the first post, a link to the forum about Riot on the author's own website, where I notice a post from a couple of months back also asking about using Command line options with Riot, although sadly unanswered.

I will point out though, in answer to your question, that the Riot plugin is used in two ways by Irfanview. It can be invoked from the Save options dialog for JPG files, to set the save quality that results in a specified target file size. If that is what you want then it is automatically invoked when a JPG is saved using the /convert= option of a command line script if that Save option has been set along with a suitable target file size.

The Riot plugin is also used for the Save for Web.. feature in the File menu though and I suspect that is what you really want to open from your command line script. If so then the only way I know is to send keystrokes from the script to simulate the normal sequence of actions that would be used in the GUI. It can be done but would be somewhat inelegant because there is no direct keyboard shortcut to the feature, not even by using the Access menu (Alt+F). There is also a conditional dialog that needs to be handled which opens if the file is greater than a certain size. Not nice.

Comment

Hi Mij,

Thanks again for your willingness to help me.

What I am trying to do is the first example that you give, and that is to save the finished combined image as a specific file size in kb. which is the save file size option on the JPEG/GIF Save Options menu. In looking at the command line options for convert, it gives several examples for saving an image with resized (pixels) choices, but I cannot find a parameter to set the actual file size?? (i.e. save file size to 50 kb.) You do mention about "if that Save option has been set along with a suitable target file size", but I do not see where that setting is listed...

Thanks again and I will look further into the RIOT pages but I think that the answer would have to come from within the Irfanview operation,
      Stan...
      Last edited by seocom; 23.10.2012, 02:32 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

You need to check the tickbox to use the Riot plugin and set the Target size in the JPG Save option dialog. Easiest way to do that is to open Batch Conversion/Rename from the File menu. In the dialog select Batch conversion at the top and JPG as the Output format. Click on the Options button alongside JPG and the Save dialog will appear. Check "Set file size", enter the target size and press OK. The values are entered in the Irfanview i_view32.ini file immediately. You do not have to run a Batch process.
        Those settings will then be used for all Jpeg Saves, including any executed from a command line script, until you change the JPG Save options again. Note that the Option is only available for JPG, not for GIF or PNG.

If you need to change file size or other settings in the ini file "on-the-fly" while a command line script is running or between Batch operations, then you might be interested in the "ini_replace" VBS script that I posted here a couple of years back.

The entries in the ini file that you need to change can be found in the [JPEG] block and look like this

[JPEG]
        Setsize = 1
        Filesize = 50.00

Comment

Working...
        X