Transparent background as wallpaper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transparent background as wallpaper

I have both 64-bit Windows and Linux OS on PCs in a home network, and my primary machine uses both of these OS too. So, my question can apply to either of them. I have an image that I would like to have appear ideally as the Windows desktop wallpaper, but if need be I would settle for having it as one of the several images used in my assortment of screensaver images.

However, this image has some property that makes it appear with a totally transparent background when I open it, for example, in Irfanview, but it does not have this type of background when I open it in a less-capable viewer such as, for example, Microsoft Office Picture Manager. When opened in Picture Manager, the image appears with a nontransparent, noticeably white rectangular background. In Irfanview the image, as I stated, has a transparent black background.

I would like to have this image with its transparent background as wallpaper such as I see it with in Irfanview, but I cannot figure how I would go about doing so. I am not an expert in the use of Irfanview. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could do this, or how I should proceed with researching whether it is even possible to have a transparent background in a wallpaper image? Thanks.

Choose whatever colour you want for the background in Properties, Viewing, Main Window Colour.

Then open the image in IrfanView, and save it as a JPG image. Use that JPG image for your desktop wallpaper. JPG images do not support transparency. You can also save a PNG or GIF image without transparency if you wish.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks for the reply, but I actually figured out how to do it. It is simple in Irfanview, and I deserve to be bludgeoned for asking such a dumb question. I opened the transparent picture in Irfanview first, then I used the menu Options > Set as Wallpaper. I found where that got saved and moved it to the folder where Windows looks for my images to set as Wallpaper. Presto! My image, transparency and all, was now my Wallpaper or my Screensaver, whichever I wanted.

Comment

Working...
      X