Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[4.35/Thumbnails app] Launch directly + paste path?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved [4.35/Thumbnails app] Launch directly + paste path?

Hello,

I have a couple of questions about the Thumbnails application for which I found no answer in the FAQ:

1. Is it possible to launch it directly, instead of launching Irfanview followed by File > Thumbnails? I tried "i_view32.exe /?" and "i_view32.exe /help" to see if it displayed any switch, but no luck.

2. Once Thumbnails is running, I'd like to paste the path to a directory instead of using the mouse to navigate through the directory tree on the left: Is that possible?
    View > Most recently used directories is read-only

Thank you.

PS: I have a couple of suggestions to make about the FAQ:
    1. Add tags, so that we can view questions that belong only to such and such topic
    2. Sort questions with most popular questions first (based on the number of times they were clicked on)

1 If the open Help, and search for "Command" you will find a whole lot of command line switches that you can use the launch IrfanView. The one you want is: /thumbs

2 In IrfanView Options, Properties dialogue, you can set the default folder in Star/Exit options.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks for the tips. "/thumbs" did the trick.

However, Start/Exit is not what I meant: In the Thumbnails application, I'd like to be able to paste the directory path from the clipboard, not start the application from a default directory. Apparently, Thumbnails doesn't support this.

Comment

No there is nowhere to paste it in the Thumbnails viewer window. You cannot select the current folder name in the Header bar because clicking anywhere on it opens the drop down list of MRUDs.
        In the Main Viewer window you can paste into the File name box in the Open dialog. Clicking Open then selects that folder.

Where have you copied the folder name from? Could you perhaps drag and drop the folder to a Thumbnails icon instead. That is not straightforward either but I do it by using a small script file as the Thumbnails icon on the desktop. I can tell you about that if it's any help.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. Indeed, dragging and dropping the folder in Irfanview's main window starts the Thumbnails application and opens the folder.

Comment

You could also try this:
            Menu "Options -> Properties/Settings" -> Extensions
            In the section "Shell options" check 'Add "Browse with Irfan View" for Drives and Folders to shell menu'

Comment

Good tip derniwi. It works well. Just right click on a folder in Windows Explorer, select "Browse with Irfanview" and it opens Thumbnails directly with that folder displayed.

Note that I had to run Irfanview as Administrator in order to make that change to the shell menu in Windows 7. It is in a protected area of the Registry.

Comment

Working...
              X