Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irfanview Thumbs - Options - Save Current Window Layout / Position - doesn't work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved Irfanview Thumbs - Options - Save Current Window Layout / Position - doesn't work?

Before I start, I just want to say that I have been using Irfanview for many years, and have corresponded personally with Irfan Skiljan via email periodically over the past 10 years or so. In fact, I once suggested an option that would allow the user to save the current image to the folder it was already in, instead of the default folder or the last folder that was opened. This 'default' setting resulting in me saving many images, and wondering where they had gone. I'm glad to say that Irfanview now has this option: "File-Save (original folder) - Ctrl+S". While I can't take credit for this feature, I certainly find it very useful. I just wanted to point that out that I have at least tried to contribute something, and am not a complete mooch.

That said, I have an issue with Irfanview Thumbs, namely, when I have a folder open, say "C:\Jimbo\Pictures\Illustrations", and I select "Options - Save Current Window Layout / Position" and close the program, then reopen it, I get a blank page showing the 'root' directory, i.e., it doesn't save the current layout or position. There's a 'pane' under the 'banner' at the top where I can select the 'down' arrow and it will show me the most recently used directories, which is kind of a work-around, but I have Irfanvew Thumbs installed in my laptop, and it opens the most recently used directory automatically.

Is there something I can do to fix the initial view when I relaunch the program from defaulting back to the root directory?

Thanks,
    Jim.

P.S. I should add that Irfanview is the greatest thumbnail viewer out there, period. It's fast, it's light on its feet and system resources. It's just a great image filing, viewing, and organizing program. Windows 7 has something called 'Windows Live Photo Gallery', and it's a dog. It's like driving a 1969 Chevy Biscayne, with lots of chrome, and a Byzantine method for accessing tools. I used to use Thumbsplus 3, but it wouldn't work on my new operating system, and the updated version is overloaded with unnecessary options and doodads. I like Irfanview because it's logical and easy to use. It's been my default image viewer for many years. Now it's time to put my money where my mouth is and donate. Thanks Irfan!
    Last edited by Jimbo; 11.01.2013, 02:16 AM. Reason: Note of appreciation + donation

The option saves the current thumbnail window size and layout on the monitor. There's another option in Options, Properties, to save your startup options for IrfanView. Set it to use a default folder such as "My Pictures" or use the last used folder. However, as expected, that will be over-ridden if you launch IrfanView by opening a file from Windows Explorer. It will be used if you launch from your start menu or desktop shortcut.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Bingo. thanks!

Comment

Same problem & solved. Thanks! Note that in IrfanView 4.53 (probably earlier versions too) the mentioned Options, Properties above is found not in the Thumbnail browser menu, but in the main image viewer menu, under Start/Exit options.

Comment

Working...
        X