Unicode in XP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unicode in XP?

Semi-related to IrfanView in that it's preventing the IrfanView unicode plugin from working properly. Honest question -- what are all the factors needed for the Unicode plug-in to work in XP?

I have a laptop with XP SP2 installed, language support installed, NET Framework, et al. It runs Irfanview, whatever build (4.26, 4.35, Full-install, Portable) and can read files like "[アマガミ]アマガセwall.png"

I have a desktop with a fresh install of XP SP3, language support, NET Framework 3 & 4... it can run Irfanview, whatever build, but the Unicode plugin does not work right. I cannot view files with non-Latin characters (including é, ñ) and cannot rename files using non-Latin characters -- they just show up as gibberish and ASCII.

I have no idea what I'm missing. Using 4.35, I switch to the Language tab, I install additional languages (which, I know, just changes the language of the menus), I click the Unicode box... nada.

I can only postulate that it's nothing wrong with my installation of IrfanView. It can't be something wrong with Windows (the built-in Picture Viewer can see files with special characters, other programs like GiMP can view them) -- what am I missing?

Starting to get a little upset at my copy of XP at the moment. What am I not seeing? Do I need to enable right-to-left languages? Install a language pack? Uninstall a language pack? Include 1.0/1.1/2.0 NET Framework?

Comment

Presumably you have installed the updated plugins for 4.35?
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
        Presumably you have installed the updated plugins for 4.35?
        Yes.
        The irony is, I run Linux on the same PC. IrfanView under Wine can read UNICODE. I can only imagine this is something lacking with Windows XP. (Which is why I am very confused -- I have installed multiple language packs so Windows can read UNICODE filenames.)
        Well, call me and idiot.
        I forgot XP still had region settings. Changing the settings to anything other than English and IrfanView's UNICODE plugin works just fine.
        Last edited by rt1999; 11.02.2013, 11:18 PM. Reason: Crap. Forgot to try THAT

Comment

Working...
        X