Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to sort files

Hi!

I need to sort files (pics)by when the picture was taken on. I have downloaded several pics from three different cameras, and i`d like to sort them so, that i can view them kronlogically. Is it possible?

Sorry for the bad language.

Leo

in the Thumbnail Viewer, use the Options>Sort thumbnails menu to choose your preferred sorting method. This will sort them in the thumb viewer and in the main viewer when you click through.
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

In Batch Convert/Rename

It would be really nice if this "Sort by EXIF Date" was also available in the Batch-conversion screen. But at least via the thumbnails it can be done, and that's better than nothing.

Comment

Advanced Sort For Batch Operations

I also think it would be very helpful if their was a simple way to sort the selected files of a batch operation by Exif data, and especially by the snapshot creation date.

I am often in the case where I have retouched photos, that I then when to rename, following their creation date. Using the "Sort By Date" feature of the batch conversion tool doesn't sort them as I would expect.

Actually, their is a workaround, but which is not quite convenient:
        - In the "Look In" folder, choose "Detailed List" as display mode
        - Right click on the detailed list header, choose "other" / "Snapshot date" to add the snapshot date column.
        - Click the snapshot date column to sort the files
        - Verify that the "auto sort files list after insert" is disabled in the "Sort Files" menu
        - Select your files from the last one to the first one (yes, silly, but it seems that IrfanView reverses the selection order...)
        - Click Add
        You're done!

Well... there is definitely a need for something more convenient here!

Comment

Useful tips there, Sgar76. Actually the IrfanView "look-in" box for Batch is a standard Windows dialog box , so the features you get depends on which operating system you have. You would not be able to sort in the way you suggest with early versions of Windows. In Vista, by the way, your "Snapshot date" becomes "Date taken".
          Transferring files from that box to the batch list in the order you selected them is an old, old problem. If you have a number of files selected, the best way to transfer them is to use drag and drop. Just click down on the top one and drag them into the list box. You can also drag them to the list box from Windows Explorer. You can have a bigger window to do your sorting there.

Comment

Working...
          X