No announcement yet.

Decrease color depth - use nearest color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought I replied earlier, but apparently it didn't get posted. The attached PNG saved with the PNGOUT plugin is only 615 bytes.

It's hard to beat PNG for images with few colours. All we need are some good tools for APNG. I have one called APNG Anime Maker, but it could be easier to use.
    Attached Files
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      I thought I replied earlier, but apparently it didn't get posted.
      It appeared in Thread: Reducing Number of Colours in Palette...

As I sat, I am interested in making animated GIFs, so advantages of PNG does not help me.

Comment

I have found another problem with palettes in IV (ver. 4.37), and its solution:
        When I ask IV to Decrease Color Depth, let's say to 64 colors, and than I use Export palette, the exported palette contains 256 colors, where colors 0-63 are colors used in the image, and colors 64-255 are 0-0-0 (pure black). When I later use this palette for reducing colors ( Import palette (with Properties-Browsing/Editing-Import palette:Use nearest color)) of another image, the resulting image can contain 65 colors, because some dark pixels can be found closer to pure black than to darkest color from 0-63. So now I have image, which should contain only 64 colors (0-63) but contains 65 colors (0-64).
        The solution is quite simple. I can edit the .pal file (it is just text file containing 256 R-G-B values) and change all colors 64-255, which are in this case 0 0 0 to any color contained in the range 0-63 of palette. This way, when I import this edited .pal palette, only colors 0-63 will be used and I get image which contains only 64 colors, the same colors which contains the original image, which palette I have exported.

Comment

Working...
        X