i_view32.exe ignoring specific printer with /print=

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i_view32.exe ignoring specific printer with /print=

I have somewhere in the region of nineteen billion printers connected to my PC. I found that irfanview could print images to them from the command line, and decided that that would be decidedly kickass, and set out to do it.

Problem is, it will only print to the default printer.

My syntax is
    Code:
    i_view32 d:\pictures\herp.png /print="Herp Derp Teddybears"
    , and it completely ignores my herpety and derpety, and prints to some awful Epson inkjet that nobody cares about.

This would be fine if I was a normal user, but I'm not, and different prints must go to different printers.

My current solution is to, (brace yourself, this is stupid), run a virtual machine for each printer, filter the printer to that VM only, run listener scripts on every virtual machine, and shunt prints to the corresponding virtual machine when I want to print something.

This is awful, and completely unscalable. Please help.

Well, if you really have nineteen billion printers, it is probably still looking for the one you asked for.
    As far as I know that /print= option usually works OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
      Well, if you really have nineteen billion printers, it is probably still looking for the one you asked for.
      Yes - that would be kickass

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
        As far as I know that /print= option usually works OK.
        Thanks for the bump, I guess, but that's really not helping me.
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 26.03.2013, 10:50 AM. Reason: Offensive remark removed

Comment

If you want help from others, who are doing it in their free time, be polite at all times.

Even comments like “It works for me,” can be helpful, as they indicate that it might be something unique on your side that is causing the problem.

Read the link in my signature (Before you post...) before posting again.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hi,

this option also works for me...

Do you run IrfanView using your account?
            Do you run IV using a batch file? Is this batch file a ASCII/Ansi file or a unicode file?
            Has the printer non ascii characters in the name?

Regards
            Nils

Comment

Makes no difference if run with or without elevated privileges.

Makes no difference whether I call it directly with cmd, or through python's subprocess.

One printer does, and if it is set as default, i_view prints to it fine. The parameter after the = in /print= is still ignored.

I'd just like to make it clear my issue is with not being able to specify a printer by name, not that I can't print at all. Just getting that vibe.

Comment

Hi,

ok, I understood.

If I use a printer name that does not exist the default printer is used.

So the simple way for me is testing this:
                Code:
                "C:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView\i_view32.exe" D:\test.jpg /print="FreePDF"
                It is also important that there is no space in
                /print="

Can you print to different printers by starting IV, open a picture and print manually?

Edit: I assume you use v4.35, do you?

Regards
                Nils
                Last edited by derniwi; 29.03.2013, 04:04 PM.

Comment

There is no space in my command.

I can print to different printers manually in IrfanView.

I am on 4.33, apparently. The functionality is listed in the help file and (I think) the command line, though, so it should be fine.

Comment

Hi,

I just have a 4.35 installed here and it seems to work with my few printers.
                    So please try an upgrade or better, a completely new install of 4.35, frist remove 4.33 and delete the content of the IrfanView folder (or back it up). Maybe there is a version conflict with the plugins which may

Regards
                    Nils

Comment

Working...
                    X