Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested JPG losseless crop should remove thumbnail

Hi.

After I've cropped a JPG image, another image viewer (that only reads thumbnail information) show the thumbnail as the image looks loke before it was cropped.

I wish there was an option for removing thumbnails from JPG's when saving/cropping.
    If it hurts not to drint, don't waste the bottle then.

Thumbnails should be updated with new content of image insted of being removed.
    Imi este indiferent ce cred ceilalti despre mine, caci oricum fiecare crede ce-i convine lui si nu ceea ce e real,
    doar ca mi-ar fi placut sa ma vada asa cum sint de fapt, nu asa cum poate le-ar placea lor sa creada. Ei au ales deja...

··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷··
    ·· · ·M· · ·I· · ·D· · ·I· · ·· ·· ·M· · ·A· · ·N· · ·I· · ·A· · ·C· · ·S· · ··
    ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷··

Comment

Please see this earlier thread.

The thumbnail can be removed by not saving the Exif data.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

What version of Irfanview are you using, Sprintdriver? Since that earlier thread referenced in the post above, Irfanview has been modified so that the Exif thumbnail is automatically updated when a modified image is saved. What you describe should not occur in the latest version (v4.35).

Comment

I use version 4.35
          Windows XP sp3

When I browse (in thumbnail mode) a directory where both original image and a cropped version, the thumbnails is completely identical.
          If it hurts not to drint, don't waste the bottle then.

Comment

My apologies, Sprintdriver. I had not read the title of your thread to see that you were doing a Jpeg lossless crop. Yes, you are right. The lossless crop is a plugin and does not update the Exif thumbnail as the main program now does.
            I agree with Jaff that it would be preferable if the plugin updated the Exif thumbnail and not just delete it as you request, but I presume the plugin author would have to do that change rather than Irfan. If it is important to you I suggest that you make the request direct to Irfan so that he can contact the plugin author and request him to bring the lossless crop in line with the main program. There may of course be a reason why it has not been done. The whole point of the lossless operation is that the image data is not decompressed and re-compressed again leading to loss of quality. It may be that it is not possible to change the thumbnail without decompressing.

Comment

Looks as though you have got what you want in v4.36, Sprintdriver.

Comment

Working...
              X