Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed Colorless compressed .ico

Hi all,

The "bug" happens when I use ImageMagick in my favicon.ico to reduce the number of colors, my favicon.ico has only 2 colors white and blue (no shades), I used this command to reduce the number of colors.

Code:
    convert -colors 2 favicon.ico Cout.ico
    convert -colors 4 favicon.ico Cout.ico
    convert -colors 8 favicon.ico Cout.ico
    convert -colors 16 favicon.ico Cout.ico
    Edit: Doesn't matter how many colors I use, it always works fine everywhere but IrfanView.

My favicon.ico goes from 800Kb to 200Kb (when I use 4 colors), but IrfanView, shows it black & white (instead of white & blue), and it's not an ImageMagick problem like someone already suggested, because Windows' default preview and the browsers I tried (chrome and IE) display it fine.

What I would like to know is.. is it just an IrfanView issue, or would it happen in other softwares/browsers/devices too when certain conditions are met. What kind of programming mistake was made, is it probable that some other kind of softwares/devices I'm sibling would have the same issue? (I didn't find any yet)

PS: In case it matters, I'm using:
    - Windows Vista
    - IrfanView v4.30
    - Latest stable version of Chrome
    - IE 9
    Last edited by M.J; 21.05.2013, 07:28 PM.

"Pending" means that a reply has been received from Irfan. He knows about the bug, so there is nothing more that users need to do.

Please prefix all new bugs as "Reported." See the sticky thread on Reporting Bugs for details.

Update to the latest version 4.35, then if it still happens, please provide both the original icon and the one that you have modified.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Installed IrfanView 4.35, same problem.

I attached an archive containing 4 original .ico files (Red&White Blue&White Green&White Yellow&White) and 4 "compressed" .ico files.

I used:

Code:
      convert -colors 2 1in.ico 1out.ico
      convert -colors 2 2in.ico 2out.ico
      convert -colors 2 3in.ico 3out.ico
      convert -colors 2 4in.ico 4out.ico
      Again they work fine everywhere but IrfanView. They all become Black&White in IrfanView.

Please don't forget to forward this question to Irfan aswell as I really need the answer to it.

Originally posted by M.J View Post
      What I would like to know is.. is it just an IrfanView issue, or would it happen in other softwares/browsers/devices too when certain conditions are met. What kind of programming mistake was made, is it probable that some other kind of softwares/devices I'm sibling would have the same issue? (I didn't find any yet)
      Thanks
      Attached Files

Comment

I can confirm the same results — I have forwarded the files to Irfan Skiljan with your first post.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Irfan Skiljan sent me this bug-fix update. Just extract it over the executable.
          Attached Files

Comment

Yes it works fine.

So it was just an IrfanView issue and it's unlikely that my .ico's will appear black anywhere else right?

Comment

Originally posted by M.J View Post
              So it was just an IrfanView issue and it's unlikely that my .ico's will appear black anywhere else right?
              Your guess is as good as anyone's.

Comment

Working...
              X