Image caching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need next picture caching!

Max need caching of the next picture, while pressing space in full-screen-view, to show next pict. without delay.

You can see that feature in ACD See 3.1

Thx 4 the best viewer ever!

Comment

IrfanView is the fastest viewer I know. However, it takes longer time for IrfanView viewing a JPG with a build-in colorspace or colorprofile (like Adobe RGB). That is, if the Viewing-option ‘Use embedded color profiles’ is checked. So next image caching would speedup browsing in IrfanView.

Comment

load next image options

I like irfanview and find it a very good photo viewer. I prefer it to acdsee because it keeps full scren image on secondary display while acdsee always reverts to primary display in full screen mode.
        However, I would very much like to have the same option I have on acdsee to load next image while viewing an image. This makes viewng sequences of large TIFF files much quicker (irfan only starts loading next image once press-bar in pressed and takes several seconds to load large TIFF files).
        Any chances to get this otpions on some next releases ?

Comment

Prefetching

I would like IrfanView to prefetch (buffer) the next image in directory which will be displayed if I press space or page down. Then it would be much more convenient to browse large photos (eg. 2 MB or 3 MB for each photo).
          Images may be prefetched in background.

Comment

Already has been added to the project list.
            Prefetch

Comment

But there's no progress since January...

Comment

That's the way it is. We make feature requests, and Irfan implements whichever features he thinks are most useful. It is his program, and it is free, so we take Hobson's choice. The latest version implemented many improvements. The next version may be many months away yet. There are no guarantees what will be implemented then either.
                Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 25.10.2008, 01:00 PM.
                Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Have Irfanview pre-read the next JPG picture.

Hello there,

I have done some search for this in the forums, please forgive me if this is mentioned in another thread or already exists as a plug-in.

I have moved from the evergrowing ACDSee to Irfanview in search for Unicode support in a software which is not overbloated.

I have found to be excellently replacing ACDSee (even with nice adding features like easiness of rotation and the fast creation of .ico) but for one thing:

Let us say I am watching a list of .JPGs in a folder:

IMG \

DSCF0001.jpg
                  DSCF0002.jpg
                  DSCF0003.jpg
                  DSCF0004.jpg
                  DSCF0005.jpg
                  DSCF0006.jpg
                  DSCF0007.jpg
                  DSCF0008.jpg

Say these are rather large .JPG files, around 5MB each.

Say I am watching DSCF0003.jpg, and previously I watched DSCF0002.jpg

It is very likely that I will request to see the next picture DSCF0004.jpg

Well ACDSee pre-reads this picture and if I ask for the next picture it shows it automatically.

I haven't found a way to get this with Irfanview, so there is a delay in the showing of the next picture, as Irfanview reads the image.

I have not found a plug-in or an option that pre-loads the next expected picture into RAM.

Is there such an option?

Thank to any possible answers there might be.

Luis.

Comment

No option so far. It seems to have been requested, but obviously no implementation yet. Not sure where the progress is on it, or if it has been sidelined.

Older, smaller versions of ACDSee still can't be beat in terms of performance. Even XnView has read-ahead and current image caching, and it is still not that fast really. Some other somewhat quick programs are MaxView, Imagine, and Fast Picture Viewer.

Comment

I also notices another problem with caching.

in I open mega image with multigigapixel resolution(for examples some aresial map photo from google earth) infranview hardly manages to handle it even is that image should have no problems to fit into ram.

it seems like it is trying to decompress entire image every time I try to pan it.

Comment

Originally posted by daroc View Post
                        I would like IrfanView to prefetch (buffer) the next image in directory which will be displayed if I press space or page down. Then it would be much more convenient to browse large photos (eg. 2 MB or 3 MB for each photo).
                        Images may be prefetched in background.
                        seconding the motion. would be truly wonderful.

Try FastPictureViewer to see the enormous speed gains.

Comment

Decode next image(s) in advance

Hi! IrfanView is great, but I still use the old ACDSee v5.0 ! Why ? Because it is very fast and decode next image in advance, so when I press [SPACE], I see the next image immediately.

Please add this option and enable it by default.

The zoom feature is terrible slow, also. Look at it.

See attached thumbnail !
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 22.05.2020, 02:37 PM. Reason: Fixed typos

Comment

So what's going on

How this incredibly useful feature have not been implemented is a complete mystery to me.
                            Has the author given any explanation?

I mean, browsing through images it speeds up loading times in such a dramatic fasion it cannot be anything but a must-have feature.

Also, i cannot see any negative effects, processing one or two images extra that might not be looked at, in practice means squat.

However, irfanview is still one of the best, most stable and versatile freeware apps out there, xnview do have this feature, but i think it's a less stable app, i prefer irfanview.

Comment

Here's what Irfan wrote back in 1996 when he released IrfanView version 1.99:

Version 1.99
                              - New fast directory view ! This part is now totally rewritten; no more lost files and uncomplete lists. Files are shown in the order how they stay in FAT, that means unsorted. Coming in next release:
                              - Sorting files in alphabetical order.
                              - Fixed bugs with some ICOs, and compressed BMPs

"Read ahead" - processing next image in the background is not implemented. It doesn't bring wished effects, especially on faster machines (Pentiums).
                              Why? Because the background processing of the next image slows down showing of the previous (even on faster computers, even with faster graphic cards).
                              Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 22.05.2020, 02:56 PM. Reason: Fixed formatting

Comment

Originally posted by Sjef View Post
                                Here's what Irfan wrote back in 1996 when he released IrfanView version 1.99:
                                "Read ahead" - processing next image in the background is not implemented. It doesn't bring wished effects, especially on faster machines (pentiums).
                                Why? Because the background processing of the next image slows down showing of the previous (even on faster computers, even with faster graphic cards).
                                Interesting, lets hope something has happened in the last 13 years could anyone forward this thread to Mr Irfan?
                                I am sure he has a legitimate reason, seeing how IrfanView is kept up to date and is feature rich in other aspects.
                                Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 22.05.2020, 02:40 PM. Reason: Fixed formatting

Comment

Working...
                                X