Image caching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rejected Image caching

Hello everybody! I would like to request one of those feature, which can significantly improve the speed of the browsing. That means to preload in the memory the next image or the previous, depending on the direction of browsing. It means that during the user is looking at the current image in the memory is loaded the next, so that the time to load the next image is practically zero. This feature is important when the user wants to browse the current folder with high speed. In my opinion this feature can make Irfanview approximately two time faster when browsing a directory with many images. In order to make a comparison please try a very old version of AcdSee (v 2.4) which is very fast due to this option.

Thank you in advance,
    Best regards,
    Vizitator

Hi,

one word: caching function

Yes, that would be great, because xnview and, as you said, acdsee do support that !

steve

Comment

I'm not sure if caching is the correct term even if it sounds so, because caching might suppose to save or keep the cache memory on hard disk drive. Even more, caching means sometimes to save ALL thumbnails in one location and load them once. I'm not sure about XnView, but I thought that caching in this program save ALL thumbnails in one folder on harddisk, but I repeat I can be wrong as I didn't use it too long. I prefer IrfanView! What I was talking about is to preload only one image, ok, maybe 2 or 3 but not too many! in video memory so that the time between 2 pictures is zero.
      Anyway, I'm glad that at least you Steve appreciated my opinion. Thank you! Let's hope that the programmers will consider it worth to think of it.

Comment

Hi,

your suggestion is a bit different to my idea:

You are talking about saving pictures in the memory to improve loading it, in the program. My idea was to save thumbnails on the harddisk in the thumbnail viewer.

Both methods will improve the speed of loading pictures

I will forward these ideas to irfan !

steve

Comment

Preload on a different thread

Hi,

Both ideas seem nice. On cache I am not so keen myself - it might be useful indeed when looking and thumbnails (but thumbnails only). As for the preload function I think what can contribute to increased speed would be resizing the picture and putting it into the memory. This would however not allow to flip pictures instantly but rather decrees the 'switch over' time once it is requested.

Another option of the kind to consider would be progressive loading for some image formats (even if not explicitly saved as progressive, say, JPG).

Best regards,
          --
          mfx (Marcin Floryan)

Comment

Image caching

In thumbnails mode, the display of images (around 2 MB each) is very slow: I see the drawing of each image one after the other, row after row. For 500 photos (jpeg), it takes about 25 seconds

With the photo gallery of Windows Vista, for the same folder, it's practically instantaneous (less than 1 second).

This is really a problem for me, because I batch photos (small res for web) in little number each time, so I need to refresh the folder to see which one I already created a small version.

Comment

I second, third, and fourth this request.

Hey! I just registered in order to leave this comment, so I'll probably never return, but -- preloading the next image into memory would be a fantastic feature.

I have a very high-res screen, and downloaded Irfanview because I wanted to flip through a bunch of comic strips on a tablet blown up and dithered to fit the screen. The one-second delay I get now with Irfanview (on a top-of-the-line computer) is the sort of thing that most people wouldn't think to complain about, but makes a huge difference in how the user perceives the interface.

I actually remember using IrfanView a few years ago for a similar thing (showing people a slideshow of images at an event), wanting them resized, and noticing the same problem. The solution is easy, and the default Windows viewer does it. Preload option!

Comment

oops my bad
                Last edited by matera; 02.10.2007, 06:15 PM. Reason: mis-hit a button
                Its: Belongs to "It"
                It's: Shortened form of "It is"
                ---------------------
                Lose: Fail to keep
                Loose: Not tight

---------------------
                Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Very much needed!

The feature we are talking about is called read ahead/cache behind. Or at least that's how it's called in ACDSee and XnView. This was one of the two reasons that held me from switching from ACDSee 2.44 to IrfanView for the longest time. It speeds up picture browsing significantly, and makes the program feel so much faster. And how fast it feels is what ultimately defines user perception of how fast it is.

Even on a modern hardware, you have to wait a bit for the next picture to appear in IrfanView, it's not immediate, and it's quite noticeable. It's even irritating when you want to flip through the pictures fast.

I'm in no position to order Irfan what to do, but I think this should be a top priority feature. It's especially a shame not to have it taking into account that ACDSee and XnView had it for ages.

Comment

Image caching

There should be two options to allow image caching to speed up image browsing: images are loaded while you are watching, so that you spend a few seconds to watch every image you'll not have to wait to see the following one. Also, with "cache behind" the previous image is cached so that if you change your mind and want to see the previous image again you'll not have to wait for it to be loaded again.
                    ACDSee has this feature from its earlier versions.

- Preload next image (cache ahead)
                    - Keep last image (cache behind)

Comment

Would be a nice option. Maybe the browser mode can help you out for the time being. Set the thumbnails to 300x300 as an alternative to a better comparing of your images.

Comment

I've used ACDSee 2.4 and 3.0 many times. It lacks one useful option: Do not preload images larger than [x]. Very large images would need too much memory which is better used for processing with Undo or Windows cache.

Comment

I would love this option. I have lots of images on a network drive, and this would really speed things up. This is the only thing still keeping ACDSee 2.4 on my computer.

If it were only reading ahead/behind a single image, I don't see how memory usage would be too much of an issue. The largest images I have are 10MB, and recent PCs would have at least 1GB RAM - it becomes a non-issue. But, I suppose if you were browsing 100MB satellite imagery or something, it could come in handy.

Comment

It could be something like:
                            • Preload next image (cache ahead)
                            • Do not cache images smaller than [0] KB and larger than [10240] KB
                            • Keep last image (cache behind)
                            • Do not cache images smaller than [0] KB and larger than [10240] KB
                            Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 13.06.2022, 06:46 PM. Reason: Formatted List

Comment

This is more complex. What do you like to cache? The file from the file system or the unpacked image? What should happen if a file contains more than one image? And about which size you are talking?

Comment

Working...
                              X