This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved Irfanview won't close multiple windows at once, as other apps do

EDIT: NOW CLOSING GROUP OF WINDOWS WORKS. No clue why - just glad it is.
    IV 4.36 in Vista x64 gives me intermittent problems.
    I'd been trying to close multiple IV windows for days (grouped under one icon on task bar) - just before logging in here to report & it ignored me when clicked on "close group." I tried closing IV, explorer, restarting explorer, closing all other apps - nothing made it close all windows in a group. Until I logged in to ask about that. For no apparent reason, it suddenly started closing all windows in a group.

Since IV (4.36 - Windows Vista x64) doesn't use tabs (how many have asked for tabs?), when 2 to 222 IV windows are in the task bar - under 1 icon, I can't "close group" by R clicking its task bar icon, like I can for any other app w/ multiple windows open (incl. Windows Explorer).

I don't have checked "only 1 instance of IV is active", because if I check it, I can't open > 1 image at a time (can't select 3 images & open all at once).

But closing 10 - 20 windows, ONE BY ONE, is tedious, at best. Is this the way it always works / has worked?

BTW, if I edit a post, I NEVER see the drop box for "Title" to select "Solved." I only see that box when 1st create the post, then never again.

Thanks.
    Last edited by imajezz; 02.09.2013, 08:20 PM. Reason: Irfanview 4.36 is erratic

It does not appear that anyone else wants to answer your questions, so I will try (again). For now I will just address the issue in your title.

I have no trouble closing all open Irfanview windows together when they are grouped on one Taskbar button. A right click on the button and select "Close all windows" and they are all gone. To ensure that they are all grouped together though, you must select "Always combine, hide labels" in the Taskbar properties, not just "Combine when taskbar is full". If there is any open Irfanview window that is not grouped on the button, that function will not work. Alternatively you can always close all open windows by using Alt+F4 with auto-repeat. Press Alt down first then hold down F4 until they are all gone.

When you select multiple files and use that right click method in Explorer to open them all together, most applications appear to behave like Irfanview and open multiple independent windows on top of each other. That is no different to opening all the files one at a time. In none of those could I find any differences to Irfanview when I came to close them.

The only image viewer I have found that behaves differently is Windows Photo Viewer. There when you right click on one of the multiple files, the available option is shown as "Preview" instead of "Open". Clicking Preview does open a single window and you can step through just the selected images, much as you expect Irfanview to do, and just need to close one window to exit.

A lot of the viewers I tried would not open at all from that right click method in Explorer. I am interested to know what others programs you have found that work like Photo Viewer (or its Vista equivalent) to justify your claims that Irfanview is the exception.

Comment

Thanks for replying.
      sorry that you missed my edit to the OP:
      EDIT: ...nothing made it close all windows in a group. Until I logged in to ask about that. For no reason I can imagine, it suddenly started closing all windows in a group.
      Behavior has been erratic. Could have been bad install - I clean reinstalled it. That said,

I'm NOT bad mouthing IV. It has many good features & useful for many things. Selecting random files from explorer then opening/ viewing them isn't one of its strong points.

Some viewers may behave just like IV in that respect, but some don't. Ones that don't may be lacking areas where IV excels. No one's perfect.

I found a popular viewer that doesn't open multiple, randomly selected files in a "bunch of windows" in task bar. It does show the multiple, random selected files in a "thumb screen" (explorer like window), if you want to see it, or it allows using arrows on main UI toolbar (maybe keybd) to step thru ONLY the selected files - not every single file in the folder.

It uses tabs in main viewing UI, that would also be nice in IV.

In IV 4.36 - For me, if I select 3+ random files from explorer, in ONE folder, then open - it doesn't step through ONLY the selected files.

It tries to open all files, even though I ONLY select / open a few, random files & gives errors when a file "in between" the selected files isn't an image. (see screen)

I could be wrong, but thought IV used to allow selecting a FEW files, then ONLY rotate thru the selected ones. If not, what's the point of being able to select / open random files? Maybe it never did that, but it seems like a good idea.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
        It does not appear that anyone else wants to answer your questions, so I will try (again). For now I will just address the issue in your title.
        That may be because most are not as patient as you.

@ Imajez — This is a user2user forum, for a free software application. The forum is not owned or run by Irfan Skiljan, and he bears no responsibility for how it works, which is down to the Admin and volunteers who come here to help other users in their spare time.

It's not a place to vent your frustrations, or complain about bugs or perceived defects in the program. Try to be concise and accurate. Ask one question in one thread to keep things simple.

I checked the reported issue by selecting three non-consecutive files in Windows Explorer (Win 7), right-clicked, and selected "Open." Three instances of IrfanView opened as expected. Pressing the Escape key three times closed those three windows.

I next tried by right-clicking on the Windows taskbar, "Close all Windows", and all instances of IrfanView closed.
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 02.09.2013, 05:00 AM.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
        X