Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scanned JPEGs: problem copying or printing

Hello,

I have a problem with scanned JPEGs from my new printer. The scans are of A4 sheets. They look normal when opened in IV, but when I copy and paste them to Word, they appear as a tiny 1mm * 5mm image which can't be expanded to the original size. Printing directly from IV to printer or to a PDF is the same problem - a blank sheet with a tiny dot of colour in the top corner.

My new printer is Fuji colour laser printer, CM205FW. My previous printer was an HP inkjet.

Images from either scanner display normally in IV (or MS Photo Viewer or MS Paint), but the HP scans copy and print normally, while the Fuji scans do not. They have the correct number of pixels, similar filesize, etc.

Workaround:
    I have tried doing two lossless rotates, saving as higher quality JPEG, withoug success.
    However if I save the JPEG as a GIF in IV I can copy and print it successfully.

I can see that perhaps I should be reporting this to Fuji rather than IV, but on the other hand you could say this is a 'dialect' of JPEG which exists and which IV can display normally, or save as a fully functioning GIF, but can't supply a usable copy fro the JPEG.

I am running IV v 4.36 on Windows 7 Professional SP2 (32 bit) on an Intel i5 processor, Gigabyte MB, 2-year-old PC.

I attach scan files form the new and old scanner.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HP scan - good.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	497.9 KB
ID:	84633

Name:	Fuji scan - bad.jpg
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	84632

There's a lot of white space around the image. If I crop that, then Print, Best fit to page, left margin 2 cms, then it fills the page nicely.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Change the dpi settings (Irfanview menu Image --> Information) to a value of 300 or else change the printer settings not to print according to dpi

Name:	iv_dpi.png
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	81041

(dpi = dots per inch)

PS: don't forget to save the image afterwards
      Last edited by jazzman; 03.09.2013, 03:51 PM. Reason: PS

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Thanks jazzman, you pinpointed the problem; I changed the DPI and got the desired result, ie it now pastes a half-page image which is easily stretched to A4. My old scanner set it to 200 * 200, which was also fine.

It is a pain to have to change the DPI for each image, but unfortunately it appears the scanner cannot be adjusted. I checked its settings and the DPI was 200. I changed it to 300, but the scan output still has a DPI of around 45,000 and tiny image size. I'll report it to FujiXerox.

At least I don't do huge amounts of scanning, and I really like the printing part of the printer.

Comment

Clearly not a bug in IrfanView since the DPI is wrongly set by the scanner software, so thread moved.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
          X