.JPS must be not renamed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested .JPS must be not renamed

If there is a duplicate then excusse me - the HTTPS page "hangs" while sending post.

Hello! Excuse my poor English.

Summary:
    Treating a .JPS (and .STJ) file the same way as a .JPG and .JPEG is expected.

Some word more

The best photo viewer in the world is (only) the nearly best because one irritating missfeature.
    Even if we can add a "foreign" file types (under "options->set file associations->other)
    and the added type will be listed and processed in expected manner, if the file
    is a "known" type (b.ex. JPG) IrfanView resolves the JPG file type and asks for
    renaming to .JPG

In fact, a .JPS file *is* a JPEG one.
    The only formal restriction is a even horizontal pixel size, the essetial is a "two images
    in one file".
    The .JPS file type is used by stereoscopic viewers for automatic distinguish whether
    user wants use pairs of separate left-right images from separate files (named .JPG
    of course) or pair of images coupled in one .JPS file.
    The same applies for much rarer .STJ files, where are a three-images "universal
    freeview L-R-L" (both "proper" and "reversed" stereo depth are side-by-side and
    then one is always proper for crosseye viewing).

WANTED absolutelly:

What is absolutelly needed and probably is not a problem in implementation: treat
    please the .JPS extension exactly as a .JPEG one, which is a "allowed alias" for
    .JPG and works as expected. The same applies for .STJ files.

What may be useful for possible future type collision: a "do not ask for rename"
    checkbox beside the (existing!) selected by user types list or a separate "do not
    rename" types list, IMO the second may be a overkill.

Eventual minor extension support:
    IV is not a "program for anything" then a stereoscope support (like anaglyph)
    is IMO not expected.
    But IV *may* check if a .JPS file has even size of horizontal pixels and a .STJ
    file has the (horizontal) size divisible by three and warn if not.

For a further minor (really minor) stereoscopic support I will ask separatelly.

best regards - Gotfryd

In Options dialogue, File handling, disable "Ask to rename if incorrect extension."
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks, but it is not what I asked for: .JPS is not a "incorrect extension".
      I want not skip the behaviour for b.ex. jpeg in .TMP or a JPG mistakenly
      renamed to .DOC file, I want not resign from a useable feature
      At least in the meaning of "standard de facto" .JPS is "correct", and is extensivelly
      used in all stereo image software.

Comment

I am struggling to understand what the problem is. If you want to view JPS files without seeing the warning dialogue then just disable the option in file handling, and you get what you want.

If you think it's a bug (because, in your opinion, JPS is a valid file extension for JPG images), then send a bug report directly to Irfan Skiljan and see what he says.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
          I am struggling to understand what the problem is.
          I simply do not want to lose detection of incorrect types in IV because have .JPSes in directory.

If you want to view JPS files without seeing the warning dialogue then just disable the option in file handling, and you get what you want.
          ...however then whole misnamed files will be not chcecked.

If you think it's a bug (because, in your opinion, JPS is a valid file extension for JPG images), then send a bug report directly to Irfan Skiljan and see what he says.
          Will do and inform here of the result.
          Thx for your opinion.

Comment

Working...
          X