No announcement yet.

Give option to lock the current image so nothing new gets open in iv

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Give option to lock the current image so nothing new gets open in iv

When I am working on an image, I don't want any other image to get opened in iv even if I click on some program or file on the disk. It is because loading another image will remove my place and setting for the current image on which I am working.

So, I need some option so that even if I click on another image file, or if some program automatically tries to open an image in iv, IV must not load it and rather ask me "do you want to open another image in iv?" or something like that.

I have set it to single occurance.

Please give option to lock the current open image in iv so that nothing new gets open in iv. it should notify me that some other image is trying to get opened in iv, and whether I should allow it or not.

Thanks.

I suspect that if there was a setting that stopped images loading we would be forever answering "I cannot open Irfanview" complaints. I know that you might claim that "it will only be set when I am working on an image" but I am pretty sure that some users will find a way of having it set when they are doing something else, waiting for a screen capture for instance.

The way I deal with this is to have two completely separate copies of Irfanview on my computer, each with its own, individual initialization file (i_view32.ini). The programs are not very large, especially if you avoid the temptation to instal dozens of plugins that you never going to use.
    The copy I use for general browsing and trying things out is in Program files in the root folder and has its ini file in the Appdata area of the User folders. That is the copy that is associated with various image file types and so it is what opens when double clicking image files.

The copy for serious editing jobs is in its own folder in User folders and its ini file is in there with it. That ini file has View all files in directory unchecked in the Browsing/Editing tab of the Options and so cannot be accidentally changed by pressing the wrong keys. Other Editing specific preferences are set up there as well. This editing copy can be opened while browsing by making it an External editor to the browsing copy or by using a second desktop shortcut (with an Island icon rather than a Flat cat perhaps).

Lock zoom, which you talk about in the other thread, is another parameter that would be unwise to save between sessions because it conflicts with the settings you have in Display options to Fit to Window or Display 1:1, etc. In fact the Lock zoom setting is only held for the lifetime of the window that you select it in. So both methods of launching the editing copy of Irfanview that I mentioned above will cancel Lock zoom. There is a way of keeping it however and that is to drag and drop a new image file into the existing window. You can either drag it from Widows Explorer or from the Open or Save dialogs of the other Irfanview copy. Incidentally if the copy you are dragging it to is hidden or minimized try hovering the cursor (while still holding the mouse button down) over its icon on the taskbar. In Win7 that displays the copy you want and lets you drop the file into it. I don't know if that works in other Windows versions.
    Last edited by Mij; 25.10.2013, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Very clever and very wise way around solution.

I installed iv in another folder and kept its ini in its install folder only, but then, as soon as I loaded an image in second installation, the first installation was getting closed. I though that could be due to the ini of previous install in user app data, so I uninstalled.

While uninstalling, whether from control panel whether by clicking the iv_uninstall file, it was always pointing to second installation for uninstalling, I wanted to uninstall first one, but couldn't figure out. so I had to uninstall second install first. but then, when I clicked on uninstall in the first install folder, it said iv is not installed anymore, any way, I just deleted the first install folder.

then, I installed in twice, kept ini files in each install folder. now it is working independently, opening image in one instance is not closing the other other instance.

As it looked same, so I am using the DEFAULT toolbar icons in first one, and the gosberg icon set in second install, at least that difference will bring to my notice which instance this is.

I have associated image files in first install only, and not associated any extensions in second install as you rightly said.

One problem, when I change the icon for iv through properties - extension icon button, it is not changing. It would help if second install could carry a different icon so that I could identify them, currently both are carrying the default icon so I am at a loss. Why is this problem coming.

There could be further problems, but on surface it looks at it is working. I had been using it for 10+ years so I was not comfortable with using any other image viewer, all have different setting for mouse buttons, scroll wheel what not. so I wil manage with iv only, that is good enough.

Thanks for the prompt and correct advice.
      :-)

--
      Rawat

Comment

I have not installed any single plugin. I have all downloaded and I would install if and when I need one, and then uninstall that after use. In any way there are other software running that are doing specific repeated task that I do. so that is not going to be an issue.

Comment

The key is "unticking - only 1 instance is active at a time".

If I keep it ticked to make only 1 instance active, even with different independent installs, when I run one install that closes the other install.

I thing this is a bug. One install just should be blind to other install. So, one install should keep (or not keep) single instance of that install only, and other install should keep (or not keep) single instance of other install only. Setting of one install should not affect the setting of other install at all.

Please give a thought to it. Why does one install see the other install?

Comment

Isn't there a portable release of iv, or due in near future?

If you think several users might be feeling this my type of need, it would be helpful to have an outright portable release so that we don't have to go through all the above adjustment each time.

Comment

regarding "Display options to Fit to Window or Display 1:1, etc",
              well, you gave us a finite no. of options so we have to select one of those.

Why not consider adding "fit at last session's LOCK ZOOM level", that would fulfill my need. I will keep that selected when I am working on one project, so that will not conflict with anything.

You didn't us this option, and then you say that I have selected other option that will conflict with lock zoom retention.

Give us enough options everywhere that we can select that doesn't conflict.

Comment

Anyway, I fully understand that my feature requests are just "requests".

These are not "orders".

You are fully right to accept or reject the reject as per your long term view of this software. You have already made it great, so it is ok. I don't have any right to tell you what is best for it, you already know it.

Comment

Originally posted by vsrawat View Post
                  You are fully right to accept or reject the reject as per your long term view of this software. You have already made it great, so it is ok. I don't have any right to tell you what is best for it, you already know it.
                  You would do well to read the Sticky Thread about this forum. We are just long term users of the software, and have no ability to add any features. The best we can do is advise on whether it is feasible, or tell users about work-arounds, etc. If we like it, we can support it or suggest ways the Feature Request might be improved.
                  Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hi vsrawat
                    I think you misunderstand. I did not write this program. I am just a user as are nearly all on this forum. There are a few authors of plugins who contribute here but that is all. The main program is written and maintained by Irfan Skiljan. He does not have the time to read this forum but his email address can be found on his webpage, www.Irfanview.com and you can write to him directly if you want to. However everyone has their own idea of what Irfanview should do and how it should work, so you need a very good argument or evidence that a lot of other users want the same thing as you do to persuade him to make changes to long established features of the program such as the ones we have been discussing.

Yes I should have remembered to tell you to uncheck that Only one instance of Irfanview option. As you have discovered if that option is in the ini file then, when the program starts, every other instance or copy of Irfanview running on that computer is closed even if they are running from removable media like a USB stick. Irfan will tell you it is not a bug, its a feature. It is how he intended it to work.

The program file i_view32.exe is already portable by design. You can copy it to anywhere on your computer and, unless the operating system stops you from doing so, run it from there. If there is no i_view32.ini initialization file in the folder then it will create a new one.

My suggestion to change the icon referred to a shortcut to the program not the program itself. Shortcuts can have any icon you choose, even ones from a completely different program.

Comment

Working...
                    X