8bf directory in version 4.37

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8bf directory in version 4.37

Hi, asking for a bit of assistance. in previous versions of irfanview you could add 8bf files from various directories. I used subdirectories of the plugin\Adobe 8bf directory to save 8bf files which had additional data such as preset or help directories as these names were often duplicated in other plugins. It seems that in 4.37 I can only allocate one directory (i.e. Adobe 8bf). If you direct to a custom directory then it no longer reads the standard adobe 8bf directory. Is there a simply way around this that I am missing?
    If not, then being able to read a directory and all subdirectories would solve my query. Thanks for your assistance. Alastair

The old plugin handling still works under 4.37 (CTRL+K).

I tried the new option and, like you, found it not sufficient to my needs. I returned to using the "classic" version, especially with my manually edited 8bf_filters.ini

The "new" directory just might be useful for often used plugins, but even then, since I don't seem to be able to order/sort the plugins and since it doesn't support subfolders, I won't use this at all. - A nice editing facility for the classic filter dialog, now that would be something

Click image for larger version

Name:	IV-filter-dialog.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	81069

( also see this post: http://irfanview-forum.de/showthread...ll=1#post24904 )
    Last edited by jazzman; 27.12.2013, 09:35 AM. Reason: added link

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Many thanks Jazzman
      Exactly the advice I needed. Up and away again. Really appreciate the help. Alastair

Comment

I keep my Adobe 8bf filters in subfolders away from my current version of the Irfanview program (which is in the Program files folder). The filters to go onto the old custom list do not need to be in the local Irfanview Adobe 8bf folder and mine are in a shared folder that can also be accessed by different users and from older versions of Irfanview that I use for checking out some of the reported issues that are posted on this forum.
        With that setup I find no problems in adding the new filters to the list from the local Adobe 8bf folder in v4.37 and can use the extra features like the local Help files included there which I can see are going to be helpful to new 8bf users.

Jazzman, I too get frustrated by the way Irfanview adds 8bf filters to the custom list. If 8bfs are now to be brought into the mainstream area of the program perhaps it would be a good time to request an improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij
          I keep my Adobe 8bf filters in subfolders away from my current version of the Irfanview program ...
          So do I.

I just had a look at my 8bf_filter.ini file and found it has approximately 180 filters. Surely that won't be workable in the "integrated" pull down menu in the main IrfanView window.
          Sorting them into subfolders would be orderly, but access would be slow.

The "classic" IrfanView version has much to its advantage:
          - quick access through CTRL+K
          - quick "find" within the filters list by (repeatedly) typing the first letter of a filter's name
          - quick "find" of a section by manually inserting separators (see my screen shot in prev. post)
          - filters can be held in any number and assortment of folders
          - quick start of a filter by pressing the space bar
          - dialog remembers last filter used

So, what could be improved?
          - add filters in alphabetic order, perhaps before/after the currently selected one
          - an interface to rearrange the sequence of filters and to insert named separators
          - popup warning for "remove all filters" (do you really want to ...)

Any other ideas?

How could that interface look like without too much work for Irfan?
          A simple but still tedious solution would be up/down buttons, that push the selected filter up/down by one line.
          Last edited by jazzman; 30.12.2013, 12:46 PM.

Comment

I would certainly never have that many filters in the 8bf_filter.ini list, not even if they were separated into groups as Matera suggested.
            I keep all my filters in subfolders in that shared folder I mentioned. There are never more than 20 in any subfolder.

I have a subfolder named "Main" that contains about 12 of my favorites and those are always on my 8bf_filters.ini list. I add to them as required. However, of course, with the present software I have to add a whole subfolder at a time, even when I only need one, and then when I have finished with it I have to remove then one at a time. That is why I keep the subfolders small.

I think what I will do now is to use the 8BF_filters folder of the main program in place of the "Main" subfolder to contain my favorite 12. Four of the "new" ones were in my favorites anyway.

We can still use Ctrl+K to open the "Classic" 8bf dialog. I sometimes use the Access keystrokes too. I always remembered Alt+I, F, A for "Filter-Adobe", and Alt+I, F, F for "Filter Factory". Now I doubt that I will remember Alt+I, 8, D for "Filters-Adobe" but Alt+I, 8, and then T,S,W,H or O might get used for the "new" ones.

So my suggestions for improvements to the "classic" dialog is;
            1. Be able to add either all the filters in a folder (as now) or a single filter.
            2. List the filters in A-Z order when loaded from a folder (not Z-A which I cannot believe anyone wants). Filters added singly could remain in the order as added.
            3. Insert separators automatically (as XnView already does). I do not really want the name of the plugin author on the separator though. I would prefer the name of the folder/subfolder that they come from. That way I can choose how to group them and what to call the folder.
            4. Be able to remove from the list either a single filter (as now) or multiple filters all together. The best implementation of the latter would be if multiple names could be selected for removal but I would settle for just removing the contents of a folder/subfolder by selecting its separator.

Comment

Hi Mij,

Originally posted by Mij View Post
              ... I have a subfolder named "Main" that contains about 12 of my favorites and those are always on my 8bf_filters.ini list. I add to them as required. ...
              Yes, you mentioned this elsewhere. For me, swapping in and out of groups of filters is too much hassle. I use an estimated 2-3 filters per image, sometimes as many as 5, trying others as I go along.
              On top of that, remembering all the folders and which filters is where, I don't want to do. Sometimes it is inspiring to see a filter in the list and say: Hey, I might try this.

Originally posted by Mij
              ... I sometimes use the Access keystrokes too. [...] Now I doubt that I will remember Alt+I, 8, D for "Filters-Adobe" but Alt+I, 8, and then T,S,W,H or O might get used for the "new" ones.
              I use those when they don't run to more than two keystrokes. Alt+I, 8, D + one for the filter is definitely too troublesome.

Your suggestions:
              • 1+2 agree
              • 3) the separators should offer a text field for naming the separator. When inserted in conjunction with "add all from a folder" this text field could be preset to the folder name
              • 4) deleting singly or by multiple selection or by separator: agree

I'll be away for a few days, but I'll do a write-up and send it to Irfan, probably by next weekend.

And now for something completely different: University Challenge is on in a few minutes.
              Last edited by jazzman; 30.12.2013, 07:54 PM.

Comment

News on this item:

Irfan has been very forthcoming and quick about impelmenting these proposals.

You can download an updated version of the updated Effects plugin from the Irfanview website: http://www.irfanview.com/plugins.htm
                (It will be included by default from 4.38 onward, I assume)

On the classic plugin dialog (CTRL+K) you can now
                • add individual plugins
                • selectively delete multiple plugins (use the common SHIFT+click or CTRL+click to make a multiple selection)
                • sort plugins by shifting one/multiple lines up or down
                • insert comment lines ("separators")
                • insert new plugin(s) after the currently highlighted line

Also, the "remove all plugins" issues a warning (do you really want to ...)

Many thanks to Irfan,
                jazzman

Comment

Working...
                X