No announcement yet.

Realistic animated GIF support.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Realistic animated GIF support.

I'm using 4.36 on two Win7 machines.

Around half of the animated gifs I own show up scrambled and buggy in Irfanview (whether or not full-screened or slide-showed or size-changed).

Every other image viewer I have tried, as well as every browser, shows all of these images exactly as intended.

This is most annoying thing about using Irfanview, and it makes me very sad. After over 15 years of strong loyalty to your all-but-perfect application (I frequently recommend and often install it), I don't want to be forced to use a crappier product when this glaring issue should be very easy to fix.

I've searched the forums for answers and seen this response "some gifs are bad, they don't meet all the proper gif standards, and we only care about 'good' gifs". This just isn't an acceptable reason when it's entirely possible to show those images correctly.

Did you think about your program's users when you decided it would be a good idea to show "non-standard" gifs all scrambled up and unusable? At least 99.99% of people who run Irfanview do so for the purpose of viewing images: it is an image viewer application. People do not run your program to test image formatting standards.

Furthermore, the image standards for gifs are violated so commonly that the standards you are policing (at least, the ones that break our images) are meaningless! The de-facto standard, the one that actually gets used on the Internet, is much looser. The de-facto standard works just fine: the success of browsers and viewers in displaying animated gifs proves it.

Bottom line: if every other viewer can do it, so can you. I just want to browse pictures and have them not look like crap. Can I get an option* for that? Please?

I'll even pay you, if it comes to that. How much money do you want? Quote me a price. I'm serious. I really, really don't want to leave Irfanview over this, but lately it's been happening like crazy and I've just about had it.

Please consider making your program more robust to animated gif support. Please. Pretty, pretty, please.

*) Though in all honesty, I don't know who wouldn't want that option checked. Maybe some people really like seeing their images broken? I can't understand why garbled images would be the expected behavior** of an image viewer.

**) I might add in here that gif and png transparency issues exist as well, and I hope this is not for the same "reason". However, the main problem is ten times worse than the transparency issues, so I've only written the above for now.

Best to contact the program's author directly if you're serious about paying for it. This is a user2user forum, and Irfan Skiljan doesn't visit here as far as I know.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Trickster View Post
      I'm using 4.36 on two Win7 machines.
      At least try the latest version, v4.37, before sounding off.
      The change notes say;
      Improved GIF animations
      GIF bug fixed (credits to Dmitry Janushkevich, Secunia Research, CVE-2013-5351)

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
        At least try the latest version, v4.37, before sounding off.
        The change notes say;
        Improved GIF animations
        GIF bug fixed (credits to Dmitry Janushkevich, Secunia Research, CVE-2013-5351)
        Will do (later this week when I get a free moment)! Fingers are crossed...

Comment

I have updated to 4.37, but it has fixed nothing.

I could upload a few examples if that would help, but this has been a problem with IV for a very long time. Is there any way to make my voice heard?

Comment

Whenever I report an Animated GIF bug to Irfan Skiljan the usual response is that it breaks the specification, that's why it doesn't work.

I agree with him. Animation creators should fix their images. If you want to send him some broken GIFs, and file a bug report yourself, there is nothing stopping you.

Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Trickster View Post
              I could upload a few examples if that would help, but this has been a problem with IV for a very long time.
              Yes, please upload a few examples. I don't have any GIFs that don't seem to display correctly. I'd like to see if my install works as yours does.
              I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
              Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Comment

Working...
              X