replace color - color picker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replace color - color picker

In the replace color dialog, there is a "Hint for window mode" which reads "Click into the image (main window) to set the source color".

However, attempts to do that cause the Replace Color dialog to flash a few times, and a beep.

So either the hint is incorrect, or what it seems to recommend is not exactly what one is supposed to do, or it works in some versions of Windows but not others, or????

I had a line drawing with three colors, and wanted to convert it to bitonal, but one color was below the un-configurable conversion threshold, so I needed to change that color to black so the conversion would preserve it. In passing, it would be nice if the Decrease Color Depth had a threshold setting for bitonal conversion, and a live preview mode as the threshold is adjusted.

I finally used other tools to determine my color number so I could plug them in to the IrfanView dialog. But this shows a limitation in IrfanView 4.37 running on Windows 7.

The way I attempted to pick the color was to click it in the window, while the dialog was active (which failed), and before the dialog was active (which did nothing), and while the "Color" dialog was active (from clicking the Choose button). If there is some other thing I should have done, let me know.

Before opening the replace colour dialogue, clicking any pixel in the image shows its RGB values in the title bar. After opening the replace colour dialogue, click on the window will then update the source colour to that one.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

It works fine for me. The dialog beeps and flashes a few times whenever you click on the image, as you say, but the color in the "Replace Source Color" box changes to whatever I clicked on. I assume that the beep and flashes are intended to tell me that it has done what was requested. You cannot set the "..with new Color" box in that way though. You must use the Choose button and Color dialog to set that.

I am not clear what you are asking in the second part. By "Bitonal" do you mean "Black and White" or do you want to retain 2 of the existing colors, and what do you mean by "below the un-configurable conversion threshold"? Are you talking about the "Tolerance" setting in the Replace Color dialog. If so what are you trying to set it to?

Comment

Irfanview window must be open on your primary monitor for color picker to work

If you are using multiple monitors, you must have the Irfanview main window opened on your primary monitor for the color picker to work (ie. in Windows 7, the monitor that has your taskbar and clock in it). Otherwise, it does as described above where the color picker fails to function as expected and the popup window just flashes and drives you nuts.

I am obviously using Win 7, don't know if this is an issue in other OSes.

I know this is a really old thread, but I ran into this problem today (as I have previously every couple of years) and if nothing else, I am creating a reminder to myself of how to solve this problem that really drives me nuts. If you found this thread, I hope it helps you too.
        Last edited by grandmah; 13.08.2019, 04:04 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

No problem using the colour-picker on a secondary monitor using Windows 10.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks, good to know. I see that I am using version 4.44 64-bit, so maybe this has been fixed in newer versions or maybe there is a conflict with something else on my system. I just know it is reproducible because I found the problem several times before, maybe with other menus in Irfanview. But I still love Irfanview, probably been using it 10 years or more!

Comment

Working...
            X