Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Image corrupted when copied out of OpenOffice Writer 4.0.1 and pasted into IV 4.3.7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved Image corrupted when copied out of OpenOffice Writer 4.0.1 and pasted into IV 4.3.7

I am not sure if this is an IV problem, or an OpenOffice writer problem. It started when I upgraded OpenOffice to 4.0.1 but that doesn't mean it is definitely an OOo Writer problem - see below!

I create a simple graphics image (a red circle and red diagonal line, and a blue horizontal line) using IV and save it as a png. I paste the image into a Writer (.odt) file. The image is OK.

I then copy the image in the odt file (highlight image > r-click > copy) and paste it into an open instance of IV. The image gets corrupted
    • colours change (red goes to blue, blue goes to green, black and white unchanged)
    • the left ~20% of the image gets shifted to the right edge, and dropped by 1 pixel.

When I view the contents of the clipboard in the Windows ClipBook Viewer, the image appears OK if I choose to view it as default, or as a picture. But if I view the image as a bitmap, it shows the corrupted image.

When I paste the image on the clipboard back into Writer or into GIMP, it appears OK. This is why I am not sure it is only an OOo Writer problem.

As a guess, I would say that OOo Writer was corrupting some metadata and if the receiving application takes the image as a picture, the image is OK, but if the receiving application takes the image as a bitmap, the image gets corrupted. Also red > blue and blue > green suggests a simple displacement (by one byte??), which correlates with the one pixel drop.

Any ideas? I reported it on the OOo forum at https://forum.openoffice.org/en/foru...hp?f=7&t=67123
    Attached Files

That will not be much of a help, but I can not reproduce this. I am able to copy the image from your .odt file into IV or some other viewer and back without problems. I am using LibreOffice 4.1.4.2 though.
    IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by Jacal View Post
      ... I cannot reproduce this. I am able to copy the image from your .odt file into IV or some other viewer and back without problems. I am using LibreOffice 4.1.4.2 though.
      Jacal

Thanks. I downloaded LibreOffice and I cannot reproduce the problem in LibreOffice. In particular, the image from LibreOffice is always correct in Windows ClipBook Viewer with all the view options.

Also, I downloaded Paint.NET and it does exactly the same as IV, so if the problem is with IV, Paint.NET does it too!

It begins to look like it is an OpenOffice problem and I have raised a bug at OpenOffice.
      Last edited by John_Ha; 22.01.2014, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Yes, it seems to be a specific OpenOffice 4.0.1 problem. I have tried this on an old computer with OOo 3.4.1 installed, wasn't able to reproduce it, but after upgrading to 4.0.1, the picture, pasted to IV (or Paint.net or Zoner), was corrupted.
        IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

OpenOffice 4.1.0 has fixed this problem. It was due to the way in which the clipboard contents were read.

Comment

Thanks for letting us know.
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
            X