No New Posts Since January

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No New Posts Since January

The forum has gone very quiet. I haven't seen a single new post this month yet.

I wonder if users are able to log-in any more? I am no longer able to log-in with my default browser, Opera 11.64, and have to use Opera 12.16.

Perhaps other members are facing similar problems, so cannot post any longer.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

I have noticed, the forum was quiet, but no, I have no problems logging in. Using Cyberfox 27.0.

Have a nice day!
    IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

All questions have been answered?

Working here alright for Opera 11.52, 12.16 and Firefox 26.0 & 27.0

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

No problem w Firefox ESR 24.3.0.

Comment

Yes, it is getting pretty lonely here.. and the German forum looks equally dead.

I have no problems with Firefox now that we are back to the HTTPS address. I logged in this time with Chrome and no problem there either.

Comment

Hi,

I do not visit the forum very often in the last year since we are (still) renovating (or maybe is rebuilding a word which will be closer on the reality?) the house. But if I get a private message then I try to answer.

Irfan himself seems not to work very much on IV. For example since Vista was available also as 64 bit version, Windows 7 64 bit is also installed on many computers by default, also Windows 8 / 8.1. But IrfanView is still a 32 bit software. Ok, what would we need that will make it worth to have a 64 bit version (there is an old beta for x64, but AFAIK v4.25)? Opening bigger pictures or have more undo steps available.

Also support for multi core CPU would be nice, some batch conversions would be much faster if the software would make use of more than a single CPU core.

I know IV was a very fast viewer and I still use it for viewing and also install it on the computers of friends if they need my support. But IMHO IrfanView 5 should be new developed and solve the known issues. I know that there is much work in IV until now, but as times goes by and systems change, the architecture of IV is not longer how applications should work today.

I also know that many people removed IrfanView and use other, modern software. Since the computers are very fast today, the benefit of the short starting time of IrfanView is not longer a problem for starting tools which are 10MB in size.

I know Irfan does not read here. Maybe I have to ask him what he thinks about this situation.

But again, I'm still here and alive. :-)

Regards
            Nils

Comment

It's also a bit slow because registration is turned off in the forum due to massive forum spamming! Many thanks to Stefan, who was able to get my account set up another way.

I reached out to Irfan last week regarding the long-standing performance issue related to launching files located directories with large #s of images, after some initial research indicated that the problem wasn't actually related to reading/sorting the directory contents/metadata, and then spent a couple days exchanging emails with him with evidence slowly converging on the actual cause (using Windows API logging). Turns out the long delay was caused by the creation of *images of all the file names* in the directory (presumably for the thumbnails list screen) in an unexpected/non-optimal way. IIRC, after each filename-image was added to the region, the entire region got redrawn even though it was hidden. Which got slow even on fast CPUs.

I believe the bug had been around for at least 5 years, perhaps as long as the Thumbnails view has been supported (since 1999?).

The profiling tools I used were Process Monitor and then WinAPIOverride for better granularity.

With that information, Irfan implemented a workaround. I'm guessing the workaround effectively prevented the redrawing of the region until after the last filename is imaged. Hopefully the release notes will explain a bit more.

An unsigned test version is here if you're curious to test the performance: http://www.irfanview.info/test/iview_test.zip

Irfan's instructions: "Unzip it over your normal IrfanView EXE/Plugins and use as always."

Hopefully the next release beyond 4.37 will incorporate the fix.
              Last edited by brendan; 20.03.2014, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X