Using Google Images from Irfanview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Google Images from Irfanview

Working with many old photographs, I have found Google Images "find similar images" feature very useful in identifying building, places, etc. However the only way I have found to do this is to have three windows open, Irfanview Thumbnails, Windows Explorer, and the browser page for Google Images. Having found an image that I want to idenify in the Thumbnail display I must then go to Windows Explorer, find the file, and then drag-and-drop it into the browser. Is there any way to eliminate the middle step here? So far I haven't found anything in the "help" or the "forum", though that may just be poor searching on my part. Even with two displays my current procedure is a bit of a pain.

In Properties, Miscellaneous, set your browser as one of the three possible external editors.

Select the image in the thumbnail viewer and press the shortcut to open it in your browser.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Do you have the latest version of Irfanview - v4.37? If so, you should now be able to drag and drop a thumbnail from it. That was a long awaited feature that was recently introduced.

I was able to drag a thumbnail from Irfanview and drop it onto the images.google.com search bar when that was open in either a Chrome or a Firefox browser. Rather scarily it found an absolutely identical image to the one I had searched for. Then I noticed it was my own image attached to a post I made on this forum about four years ago.

Comment

Bhikkhu Pesala: Open in the browser doesn't help in this case. To use the Google Images feature drag-and-drop is needed.

Mij: Good news for me. No, I wasn't trying this with the new version, I'm still using 4.36. I'm off to download and install 4.37 now. Thank you very much.

Comment

Working...
        X