Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Still) Conspicuous by its absence: XP tags in the EXIF Info window (viewer)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Still) Conspicuous by its absence: XP tags in the EXIF Info window (viewer)

Folks,

I've been off the Net for something close to a year. The last version of IrfanView I installed, on Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 x64, did not show XPComment or XPSubject tags I'd added to files from ExifTool in Cygwin and GNOME 2. Is there a reason why a Windows-native, nay, ONLY written for Windows, graphic viewing application does Not display these tags? The author of Exiftool, Phil Harvey, and the author of Exiv2, Andreas Huggel, I'm sure would like to hear it as much as I would. These gents go out of their way to include these tags in their Linux/Unix command-line (okay, ExifTool is also a Perl library and Exiv2 one for C) tools when they really don't have to at all.

Windows 7 Explorer itself shows these tags in the Preview pane of Windows. Why doesn't IrfanView show them in its own GUI? This confuses me. I'm not asking for edit support; I just want to see them when I have a JPEG in my main viewer window and click on Image>Information>EXIF Info (when that button shows, by its asterisk, that there's EXIF info to show).

BZT
    There's still room for two things in IrfanView: 1). Space at the bottom of each image in a full-screen slideshow to display such metadata as keywords, supplemental categories, origin etc.; 2). Space to add just those few (dozen) annoying metadata tags IrfanView can't read in, edit or save back to a file. I advocate both. BZT

Check this image:

http://shrani.si/f/1d/Nx/3fu3COGn/testisxp.jpg

You should see XPTitle, XPComment, XPAuthor, XPKeywords and XPSubject in IV.
    IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Jacal,

Thanks for the prompt reply, but I don't see them. I just, however, checked the Date Created on my iview_32.ini file, which I have edited from time to time. It's 22 December 2011. That was quite a few versions back. I don't remember whether or not IV generates a new one of these if an old one is removed, or whether it would take reinstalling after a complete removal of the version already there to get a "clean" one. But if it takes the latter to solve my not seeing those tags in my own files, then I'll certainly make the effort.

BZT
      There's still room for two things in IrfanView: 1). Space at the bottom of each image in a full-screen slideshow to display such metadata as keywords, supplemental categories, origin etc.; 2). Space to add just those few (dozen) annoying metadata tags IrfanView can't read in, edit or save back to a file. I advocate both. BZT

Comment

Just an FYI:

I moved the .ini file, launched IV; a new .ini file was generated. I opened Jacal's JPEG. I still could not see the XP tags he said were there in his reply. In XnView 1.99.6 they appear in Properties>Exif (tab), but not in IrfanView 1.3.7.

BZT

Comment

You need to update the IrfanView plugins too when you install a new version of IrfanView. The XP tags in Jacal's file display fine here.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
            You need to update the IrfanView plugins too when you install a new version of IrfanView. The XP tags in Jacal's file display fine here.
            Thank you. It's usually the obvious that eludes. *G*

Comment

Working...
            X