Another Tiff display problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Tiff display problem

I have an issue displaying some TIFF files that have JPEG compression. I also see that another user has noticed the same issue. It would seem that the Red and Blue channels are swapped when displaying these images.

Link to my issue:
    http://en.irfanview-forum.de/vb/showthread.php?t=1166

Link to other user issue:
    http://en.irfanview-forum.de/vb/showthread.php?t=1161

Is this a known bug?

problem with tiff image using JPEG compression+annotation

Hi,
    I have been searching high and low for a viewer as an alternative to the old Kodak Imaging for Windows. As we have tonnes of images stored using .tif with jpeg compression, so far Irfanview is the only hope of allowing us to view the images.
    So far, the one big problem I encountered is to view a tif image (with jpeg compression) that has annotation.
    I have a file here. If anyone can open this image without any problem, pls do let me know. It should show a simple schematic diagram of a floor plan with some red lines annotation in it.
    Attached Files

Comment

Confirmed, viewing is scrambled.
      A bitmap of 850 x 1200.
      IV's Image Properties : Compression : "Old JPEG (in TIFF)"..
      The file has a different header than a regular tif image. With the string "WANG TIFF".
      PSP7 says when trying to open : "This TIFF pixel format is not supported".

What do you mean with "annotation"?
      Last edited by Sam_Zen; 04.01.2008, 03:54 AM.
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I have to confess that the only thing I have that opens kschyuan's tiff decently is MS Word (2003)
        Its: Belongs to "It"
        It's: Shortened form of "It is"
        ---------------------
        Lose: Fail to keep
        Loose: Not tight

---------------------
        Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

It opens fine in PagePlus SE and other versions.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
            The file has a different header than a regular tif image. With the string "WANG TIFF".
            No. The file has a normal header like all standard TIFF files. Only the first 8 bytes make the header. After the header there may be any tag data area. Some coders immediately write the first IFD others the strip data. This is not irregular. You have to look at file offset 4 to see the start of the first page in the TIFF.

The file embeds a JPEG using an old standard which has been declared as obsolete. Even the newer libtiff implementations do not support this format (you have to compile the library with special switches to get it).

Don't be surprised if a viewer can't handle these files. Read the comments on the web why the standard declares the format as obsolete.

Comment

Hi , Thanks for the very enlightening comments.
              Is there any way of converting this old tiff files to the newer version so that I can reopen this images.

btw, the annotation means the user has drawn some lines and written some comments on the images.

Comment

Actually the file can be open using the current Microsoft Office Document Imaging. Except that the annotations cannot be seen. But if you use a old Kodak Imaging for Windows, it has not problem. We need to be able to see the annotations...

Comment

Originally posted by kschyuan View Post
                  Hi , Thanks for the very enlightening comments.
                  Is there any way of converting this old tiff files to the newer version so that I can reopen this images.
                  btw, the annotation means the user has drawn some lines and written some comments on the images.
                  You may convert them to TIFF 6 files, and maybe you are able to keep the annotation specific tags. But these tags are proprietary extensions. So I don't think that one of the standard image viewers is able to interpret the content of these tags. You have to write your own decoder.

Comment

I guess I am just talking to myself here. You need at least PagePlus 9 to export the images to another format. PP SE will just open them, though a screenshot would also work.
                    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 04.09.2008, 07:21 AM.
                    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by kschyuan View Post
                      Hi,
                      I have been searching high and low for a viewer as an alternative to the old Kodak Imaging for Windows. As we have tonnes of images stored using .tif with jpeg compression, so far Irfanview is the only hope of allowing us to view the images.
                      So far, the one big problem I encountered is to view a tif image (with jpeg compression) that has annotation.
                      I have a file here. If anyone can open this image without any problem, pls do let me know. It should show a simple schematic diagram of a floor plan with some red lines annotation in it.

It works in Kodak's image viewer (not free), but not in Irfanview. Sorry.

Comment

Working...
                      X