no pictures show in thumbnail view

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no pictures show in thumbnail view

I can't get any pics to show up in thumbnail view. I click on the folder on the left, and the right-hand view shows nothing. If I start IrfanView and just use File-Open and choose one of these files, my picture will show up, but the counter on the toolbar shows 0/0 pictures, and the arrows that are supposed to scroll through the folder of pics does nothing.

The weirdest thing is that this is a clean install, only one day old.

Here's some system info:
    IV 4.20
    plugins installed
    XP Pro SP3
    AMD Sempron 1800+ processor

I've had this happen in previous versions on several different computers, but it was random. I can't get anything to show up, except one pic at a time on this new setup.

What can I try?

What does the program say in Preferences - > Extensions ?

You should either have file associations there, or select "Load custom file types". This page determines which formats will be browsed using the arrow keys, and allow exclusion of useless ones like TXT. If you have nothing selected, browsing will be disabled.

Comment

My extensions are selected. I even went and reassociated them in the extensions window just to make sure. Whatever it is causing this must be random, because it's happened before with previous versions, but usually I could close IV and restart immediately and it would work then. This one is more permanent.

Comment

Can the permanent case be solved by selecting "load custom file types" (close and reopen the application)?

Comment

No. I tried the suggestion and that does not solve it.

Comment

What is the setting in Properties, Misc1, View all files in directory?
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

That did the trick! The box was unchecked, and when checked all pictures appeared. Thanks for the help!!! Just out of curiosity...was it checked by default?

Paul

Comment

Yes. The only purpose of this setting is to enable/disable Irfan from reading the list of files in current directory, possibly to view very long directories.

Comment

Working...
                X