No announcement yet.

Saved files are added without extension to Windows' list of "Recent files"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported Saved files are added without extension to Windows' list of "Recent files"

When saving a file with IrfanView it is added to Windows' list of "Recent files". Unfortunately the file is saved without extension, resulting in a broken shortcut.

Steps to reproduce:
    • Start IrfanView
    • Shift+N to create an empty file
    • Ctrl+S to save the file
      (choose "test" as filename, choose ".png" as format, then save)
    • Open Windows Explorer and go to "%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent" (or any other location where "Recent files" is shown)
    • Note there's a new shortcut to the file "test" (without extension).
      If you try to open it Windows won't be able to locate the file due to the missing file extension.

Details:
    I assume IrfanView is using the Windows API function GetSaveFileName to get the filename used for saving.
    If true, this issue should be solvable by adding a default extension to the OPENFILENAME structure (i.e. setting lpstrDefExt). It should be enough to set this to the extension that is selected initially (Windows will take care of updating the default extension automatically if the user chooses another file extension; it won't blindly append a fixed extension).

I can confirm the issue and see no reason not to report it to the developer, Irfan Å kiljan. His e-mail address is in Help - About and he usually fixes bugs quickly, when possible.

Have a nice day!
    IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Ah, yeah, I forgot how error reporting works around here...
      I sent a mail to Irfan, I'll keep you posted.

Comment

Working...
      X