No announcement yet.

Animated GIF does not 'play' correctly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've tried the fixed version of v4.00 and it display optimized animated GIF good, with nomore offset problems. As long as you don't overlap a menu or an other window, because when you do, Irfanview only refresh the updated part of the GIF and "lose" the invariant part until it came back to the first image of the animation.

To stick with the example of the binary counter:

But this bug is much less annoying than the previous one.

Thanks

Comment

you really meant to say from 0 to F (not 15)
      Of course. And thanks for the zip.
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Good news the problem was intercepted

I was in a rush when posting my initial message and failed -ehmmm...I duly apologise- to provide the necessary detailed description which I usually add.

However, I see that the problem was correctly discovered and that with the IV400Fix the GIF file now displays as expected/intended.

Pity this link is not available directly on the main IrfanView web site. I have been looking around and could not find it there.

Maybe Irfan feels embarassed about this quirk and does not want to 'outage' on it, but hey, seen the wounderful product he's providing for free, he has collected credits enough on my side for allowing him to implement such small bugs/features in the software (from the wealth of function I hardly use 3% of them).

Thx for all your support.

Comment

The fix is in! (sorry)

Originally posted by boita_spam View Post
          I've tried the fixed version of v4.00 and it display optimized animated GIF good, with no more offset problems. As long as you don't overlap a menu or an other window, because when you do, Irfanview only refresh the updated part of the GIF and "lose" the invariant part until it came back to the first image of the animation.
          Additionally, in my case, the invariant part was lost in the middle(!) of displaying the first delta; the image stayed whole after the first iteration, though. Even so, most GIFs are fast enough that I might not have even noticed this.

Anyway, the "fixed" IV is better than ever with "optimized" GIFs than the previous versions.

Hooray.

Comment

The Fix fixes the problem, but...

I downloaded the "fix" from the test directory (thanks to everybody!), and it works... Somewhat. There is the window update problem (when another window overlaps part of Irfanview's animation, it is "erased" - actually, replaced by IrfanView's background colour). Aside from that, I also noticed lots of lag and timing problems. I don't know if IV 4.00 also had those problems, because the offset bug was so disastrous that there was no way to know if there was any timing problem.

Anyway, the timing problem is much more difficult to notice, it's far more subtle. As far as I could understand it, when a frame takes more time to render than the frame's delay, the remaining time seems to be subtracted from the next frame's time. At a certain point, if enough "negative time" accumulates, a whole frame is skipped from the animation. While it is just normal in a game, for example, in which the real-time interaction has top priority, in IrfanView it just, well, "sucks", because the purpose of the program is to VIEW images/movies, if frames are thrown away, we can't actually SEE them. I guess some people prefer IrfanView like this, "skippy", but I'd like to see all frames. There should be an option to "show all frames" or something like that. Previous IrfanView (3.99 and earlier) also had timing problems, but they were not so serious (I remember it skipped some frames, but it was a very seldom situation). Can somebody confirm this new bug/"feature"?
            Last edited by Cyberknight; 02.09.2007, 12:12 AM. Reason: Complementing information

Comment

Working...
            X