Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

image window comes to top when i click in the explorer panel of the thumbnails window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported image window comes to top when i click in the explorer panel of the thumbnails window

in both 4.23 and 4.25, when i:

1. open irfran;

2. from irfan files menu, select thumbnails, to get both a thumbnails and an image window open at the same time;

3. click in the explorer panel of the thumbnails window (like to expand a folder listing or to select a folder);

then the images window comes to the front, on top of the thumbnail window.

this is on windows 2000, sp4. i do have microsoft tweakui installed, with "activation follows mouse (x-mouse)" checked and "autoraise when activating" *not* checked. (i don't think that should matter, since i am not moving the mouse into the images window when this happens.

thanks, ed

is anyone else still using windows 2000 and could check this?

or maybe there are so few of us left, it's not worth fixing just for us.

Comment

How do you know which is the cause?

Comment

i don't; i thought someone else trying it on win 2000 might help narrow it down??? or am i missing your point?

thanks, ed

Comment

Hello ed,

My point is, what if it is actually TweakUI? That program is not supported by Microsoft, so it is more likely to be problematic. Why did you decide to come here first? Has IrfanView ever worked before with this setting? Does every other program work correctly? Have you asked the forum of TweakUI as well? There may be a better chance of finding a user there who could test this for you. I'm not at all saying you're wrong, just wondering why you assumed it was IrfanView's problem.

Someone may verify it happens to them, too, but that won't tell you which is causing the problem.

Anyway, I'm not sure if IrfanView has to offer compatibility with an unsupported add-on. But, you're always welcome to try to ask Irfan to do so, if he is willing. I think anything is worth fixing, no matter how few users. It shouldn't even matter if you were still using Windows 3.1, as some programs still support it (not IV though)
          Last edited by Skippybox; 08.07.2009, 11:26 PM.

Comment

A see this bug in XP. To repeat it:

1. Open both IrfanView and Thumbnails windows.

2. Select one thumbnail image by clicking on it.

3 (!). Move the mouse outside the Thumbnails window, place it above the IrfanView window.

4. Click any folder in the tree of Thumbnails window. When all the thumbnails are read, IrfanView window will come on top.

Comment

Using itwisp's specific steps, I do get this behavior on XP. I am not using the latest TweakUI though, it is version 2.00.1.0. In fact, you don't even need to click the folder pane; giving it focus with the keyboard (CTRL+Tab) is all it takes. This may be also where the problem lies, because Tab is a hotkey for switching between IrfanView windows. This close relationship, in more ways than one, may be the complexity for X-mouse.

Comment

thank you both; one more observation:

i do have an old payware imaging program here, firehand ember version 5.0.1, that has thumbnail and image windows similar to irfan's. i cannot reproduce the problem in ember.

also (this doesn't seem to have been said explicitly yet), the problem does not occur in irfan if i turn x-mouse off.

so i guess we all agree that the problem results from an interaction between (at least some versions of) tweakui x-mouse and irfan.

and i'm willing to stipulate that the problem is limited enough, and attempting to fix it likely enough to break something else, that i should just live with it.

thanks again, ed

Comment

Full screen, thumbnails

Another tiny bug, maybe somehow connected with previous.

1. Open any image.
                  2. Go Full Screen.
                  3. Open Thumbnails by pressing T.
                  4 (!). Minimize Thumbnails window.

Now you are at a full screen view but Esc, Enter and arrow keys don't work until you use other hotkeys, like I, L, R. You can also switch to other window by Alt+Tab and return back to enable them.

Also Alt+Space pressed in Thumbnails window opens Main window's menu.
                  Last edited by itwisp; 12.07.2009, 07:27 PM.

Comment

No. I think that behavior is quite normal. You have left the focus with the thumbnail window even though it is minimized and any keystrokes go there and not to the main window.
                    To escape back to windowed view you can still click on the fullscreen image near the top left or top right corner of the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
                      I think that behavior is quite normal.
                      It isn't normal. Main window is active and must respond to all the hotkeys.

By the way, switching to full screen (step 2) is not necessary. The result in windowed mode is the same.

Comment

I think these observations could be seen as bugs, especially the last one where focus is with the viewer, yet you are left a bit helpless.

But, these things remind me of how unusual the interaction between the main and thumbnail windows can be. For instance, if you open thumbnails by itself and try to press E for a selected image, nothing happens. But, if the viewer is open with the image and thumbnails active, then the EXIF is shown but is tied to the viewer. Even more strange is if the viewer is closed, leaving only thumbnails behind, pressing E shows the EXIF for the image that was in the viewer, not an image selected in thumbnails!

Even you Mij have reported some interesting effects.

Comment

I agree. I did not mean by Normal that the behavior was desirable, just that it is what we all observe to happen.

So I doubt that it is related in any way to Win2000 or TweakUI as was suggested for the original issue.

Comment

Working...
                          X