file associationitus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported file associationitus

I wrote about a half year on this subject and got cogent-looking replies. All of which i tried and none of which did.
    So i'm hoping a new batch of people will be looking at this re-asking.
    Iranview's file associations work very badly for me. I've tried everything recommended but Irfanview grabs .avi, .mpeg, .wmv & .mov's no matter which options i check and uncheck. I've even tried "Unselect All" and it *still* elbows aside other programs. And yes i've tried uninstalling and reinstalling IV.
    If Irfanview had better video support i wouldn't mind, but...
    Infinice

PS: I'm working off a new XP image so it's very unlikely to be [the notoriously flaky] XP.

If IrfanView is still associated with files even after unassociating (although this shouldn't be the case), then it sounds like Windows is still set to use IrfanView to open those files. Maybe you used the Open with command at some point?

Go to Control Panel>Folder Options>File Types and choose the format in the list. It will most likely say that it opens with IrfanView. Click the Restore button to get the default back. Now it will probably open in Windows Media Player and you'll get a Play shell entry instead of Open.
    Last edited by Skippybox; 21.07.2009, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Uninstall IrfanView
      Start regedit and type Ctrl»F
      Search for i_view
      Delete all i_view flags from the Registry by hitting the F3 key
      Restart your PC and reinstall IrfanView
      Be careful what you associate
      Succes!

Comment

Thanks to both of you...

The first tip didn't seem to work, but second stopped IV's grabbiness.
        I still think Irfan has some work to do in this area. [and, please, please, please: add menu access in full-screen mode!]

Marinus

World's shortest joke: "Pretentious? Moi!?"

Comment

Try the F-keys in full screen mode. Maybe there's what you're looking for.
          If not, there's a shortcut for allmost every command. Make a list from the Help-menu.

Comment

Working...
          X