Strange behavior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported Strange behavior

Pardon me if this has been posted before; I'm new here.

I have been using Irfanview for ages. The other day, I was in the middle of a session and it terminated abnormally. However since then I can't get Irfanview to open again! The process is created and immediately occupies 50% of the CPU but the interface never actually opens.

I am running the latest version of Irfanview under Windows XP Professional, SP3. I have uninstalled, using ordinary uninstall techniques and using Perfect Uninstaller to remove leftover traces of the program. I re-install, but the problem persists.

Another image editor, Ultimate Paint, displays the same behavior.

Does anyone have a clue as to what my problem is?

Thanks in advance.

Update

With practically no effort at all, I have found an earlier thread that discusses the same problem. So I humbly apologize.

However, there was no actual resolution to that earlier thread, so I still have no answer to this problem.

Comment

What thread ?
      Of course I have no clue here, because of lack of information.
      But if Ultimate Paint does the same, is this linked to a specific bitmap or a certain format ?
      And try install IV on a different location or partition.
      Is this Perfect Uninstaller also removing traces in the registry ?
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorNorm View Post
        Pardon me if this has been posted before; I'm new here.

I have been using Irfanview for ages. The other day, I was in the middle of a session and it terminated abnormally. However since then I can't get Irfanview to open again! The process is created and immediately occupies 50% of the CPU but the interface never actually opens.

I am running the latest version of Irfanview under Windows XP Professional, SP3. I have uninstalled, using ordinary uninstall techniques and using Perfect Uninstaller to remove leftover traces of the program. I re-install, but the problem persists.

Another image editor, Ultimate Paint, displays the same behavior.

Does anyone have a clue as to what my problem is?

Thanks in advance.
        Welcome, DoctorNorm. I have never - and I mean NEVER - had IrfanView crashing on me, under the various versions of Windows from Win 95 to Win 7 now. However you have encountered a problem - my conviction is, it has nothing to do with IrfanView, it has to be something to do with either a particular file you are trying to open, or with your Windows installation.

It seems to have nothing to do with opening a specific image, for if I understand correctly, you uninstalled and re-installed IrfanView, only to find it crashing immediately (before you could open any image at all?) What is more, you have another Image Program - Ultimate Paint - behaving similarly too...

I hope Perfect Uninstaller removes all traces of IrfanView from your Windows Registry - most of these Uninstallers are supposed to do that!

As Sam suggests, try installing IrfanView on a different machine - it should work, I'm sure.
        Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
        IrfanView Website - Here
        Sam_Zen's Website - Here
        Author's Website - Here

Comment

Problem Solved

I'm not exactly sure what I did, but I've got IV (and Ultimate Paint) working again. Apparently Perfect Uninstaller ain't all that perfect.

I tried doing a Windows Restore, but all attempts failed for some reason.

Then I started removing recently added software and, lo and behold, a file encryption program I had installed was the culprit. As soon as I removed that software, everything started working again!!!!

Thanks to everyone who tried to help. Much appreciated. I'm just glad I've got IV back!!!!

BTW, the offending software was Easy File Locker 1.1.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorNorm View Post
            I'm not exactly sure what I did, but I've got IV (and Ultimate Paint) working again. Apparently Perfect Uninstaller ain't all that perfect.

I tried doing a Windows Restore, but all attempts failed for some reason.

Then I started removing recently added software and, lo and behold, a file encryption program I had installed was the culprit. As soon as I removed that software, everything started working again!!!!

Thanks to everyone who tried to help. Much appreciated. I'm just glad I've got IV back!!!!

BTW, the offending software was Easy File Locker 1.1.
            Glad your problem is solved - Easy File Locker isn't going to find its way into my HDD!
            Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
            IrfanView Website - Here
            Sam_Zen's Website - Here
            Author's Website - Here

Comment

Working...
            X