F2 Rename in Thumbnail View Directory Tree Broken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported F2 Rename in Thumbnail View Directory Tree Broken

Not sure if this is a bug or not. I recently upgraded from 4.23 and this behavior changed. It used to be that I could enter thumbnail view, select a folder, hit F2, and the rename/create window would open and allow me to edit the folder's name. After uninstalling 4.23, it would seem that this action is not possible. Bug, or design change?

Pressing F2 in the Thumbnail window allows an image File to be renamed not a Folder. If no image file is selected then the dialog does not open.
    To rename a folder you need to right click on it and select Rename from the pop-up menu.

I cannot remember exactly what v4.23 did but I think I used to right click there too to rename a folder.

Comment

Works For Me

FWIW, I just tried this in version 4.25 and it works as expected. That is, when a file is selected, F2 renames the file and when a folder is selected, F2 renames the folder. In addition to F2 and right clicking, I can click a second time on a folder and rename it ... just like Windows Explorer.

I did notice that when a file is selected, the folder LOOKS like it is selected, even though it is not. That is, when a folder is selected, it is highlighted. When a file is selected, both the file and the folder are highlighted. That can be confusing.

Comment

Only Rename Files works for me, with F2, under IrfanView 4.25 & Windows XPP SP3. I cannot rename folders with F2 - I can of course right-click on the folder and choose Rename...

Yes, the Folder too is highlighted, when a file is chosen under the folder, as cwb3106 observes. In fact, on pressing F2, it appears as if the folder can be renamed, but it does not work for me!
        Last edited by WellOiledPC; 07.02.2010, 01:57 PM.
        Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
        IrfanView Website - Here
        Sam_Zen's Website - Here
        Author's Website - Here

Comment

Yeah, it's still broken in 4.27. I'm not talking about F2 renaming of the actual files in thumbnail view. I'm speaking of renaming the folders, as WellOiledPC stated. I'm running Win7x64. Prior to 4.23, if I was viewing images within a folder, the folder in question was highlighted in the tree, and if I were to click anywhere in the free space of the folder tree and then hit F2, I could rename the folder. Now I have to specifically r-click on the folder in question and then select rename. A small annoyance, true, but for me it's a huge annoyance.

Comment

Originally posted by mogis View Post
            ...A small annoyance, true, but for me it's a huge annoyance.
            Here's another small annoyance. I can't drag 'n drop a thumbnail into another application, like Photoshop. Most of the time I use Shift»E to send a thumbnail to Photoshop, but by accident I sometimes use drag 'n drop, because that's the methode I use quite often in Windows (as drag 'n drop is a general Windows advantage). Whitin IrfanViews thumbnail mode I only can move/copy files between the directories in the tree. When I want to use the real Windows application drag 'n drop, I (being an IrfanView registrated user) have to divert to FastStone ImageViewer! Also nice and free, but slow...

Comment

Why don't you do what cwb3016 suggested and click a second time on the folder name like you do in Windows Explorer. That is quicker than using the right click menu.

Note. This is a reply to mogis not to Sjef. Sjef posted while I was doing so.
              Last edited by Mij; 31.05.2010, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X