Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported Clone tool bug?

Hi,

Well, first post and it's to report a bug. At least it appears to be. Sorry about that ...

I've just started using Irfanview for doing some restoration work on scanned-in negatives. These are old family pictures that are in old 120 format, both colour and black and white. My father bought me an Epson Perfection 750 to do the work for him. Anyway, the vast majority have scanned in brilliantly and require zero work. I do ensure that they're clean before-hand though, preparation being most of the battle here.

One or two need some work as they have been damaged after 40+ years storage in less than ideal conditions and I'm using the Clone tool to do most of the work. The final results are absolutely fine for the sort of prints that we might need for family albums. I save the scans as TIF files and work on these. The workflow is <zoom into damaged area. F12 for the clone tool and do work. CNTL-H to get back to original size. F12 to dismiss clone tool>.

Now the files on disk are about 15/20MB and Windows Task Manager shows I'm using about 400MB 'PF Usage'. *Sometimes* when I hit the F12 key to dismiss the clone tool the 'PF usage' shoots up to around 1.3GB and the CPU goes to 100% - for i_view32.exe. Even if I leave the system 'as is' for hours I can only exit by killing the process.

Any ideas? I'm using version 4.28 of Irfanview and plugins on XP Pro with SP3 and all latest patches (as of this week). I do only have 1GB of memory so the disk is obviously paging at some point so maybe this is an issue?

I have started to do a little work then return to 'original size' and save my work before I do any more. When I do this the problem doesn't seem to occur, though as I can't pin-point exactly the times it does occur then I can't say for sure that this is a definite work-around.

Ideas?
    --------
    Dave
    Carpe diem ......

I have noticed myself that working with paint on >100% image is slow.

A few things you could try:
    (1) work on 100% image where possible
    (2) Disable resample for zooming (View -> Display options)
    (3) Disable undo (not a prime option, but then it might be worth a try)
    (4) select a damaged area, copy it to a separate IrfanView window (keep the selection in the first window!!!), do your repairs and paste the corretced area back in its original selection.

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply! The problem I have is that paint isn't normally slow, even though I have a 6 year old machine, it's just that, at random, it suddenly eats up more memory than I've got and gobbles up all the CPU. Then it's 'task kill' time. I'll use your settings, though not the separate work window, and see what happens.
      --------
      Dave
      Carpe diem ......

Comment

Hi Dave,

Clone tool is a feature of IrfanPaint!
        It's not a part of the main program!
        It's only one of many available plugins for IrfanView!

To report a bug report for an IrfanView plugin please contact (if known) the plugin author!
        In your case please contact the moderator MItaly- the author of IrfanPaint!

regards
        Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
          Hi Dave,

Clone tool is a feature of IrfanPaint!
          It's not a part of the main program!
          It's only one of many available plugins for IrfanView!

To report a bug report for an IrfanView plugin please contact (if known) the plugin author!
          In your case please contact the moderator MItaly- the author of IrfanPaint!
          I knew I must have missed something obvious! I'll contact him then.

Thanks
          --------
          Dave
          Carpe diem ......

Comment

Working...
          X