"Open with external editor" doesn't work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Stuart,

It says check in Properties> Misc 2 which this field isn't in. But the author has forgotten that the option has moved to Misc 3!
    But if I go to this 'set external view/editor:' field and click on Browser, nothing happens. I have to manually enter a path.
    I can't replicate these problems. I can select an external editor with the mouse only, I don't need to type the path. If the field is blank, a messages directs me to the tab "Divers 3" (I use the french version) and not 2.

Does the problem remain if you uninstall IV (make a copy of your .ini file if needed), clear its directory (in Program Files) and reinstall from a fresh setup file ?

Laurent
    Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurent View Post
      Hi Stuart,

I can't replicate these problems. I can select an external editor with the mouse only, I don't need to type the path. If the field is blank, a messages directs me to the tab "Divers 3" (I use the french version) and not 2.

Does the problem remain if you uninstall IV (make a copy of your .ini file if needed), clear its directory (in Program Files) and reinstall from a fresh setup file ?

Laurent
      No need to uninstall it is there. It doesn't use the registry for settings I thought. I looked in CU-software and LM-Software. No IrfanView key.

So I just renamed the .ini and launched it.
      Same problem exists.

BTW, I don't have a Misc 1 or 2 or 3 with the alternative English.dll no one has.... :-)

Regmon did uncover this when I changed an option in the Properties>Folder window.

i_view32.exe:2508 OpenKey HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\ENGLISH.DLL NOT FOUND
      May not be relevant though.

One thing I forgot to say.
      I deleted all my lang DLLs inside the Languages folder and the new 'ENGLISH_NEW.DLL' one I renamed to just ENGLISH.DLL. I then obviously changed to this lang within iview.
      Stuart Halliday

Comment

This reply may seem to be a strange one, but it's truth. In my ‘working-day IV-4.1’ the ‘Open with extended editor’ did work allright at first. After a while it stopped working. Couldn't find the cause. Then I started my ‘standard IV-4.1’ (without any plugins installed and a readonly ini for safety) my ‘working-day IV’ was repaired and worked again as in the beginning. Now I'm trying to reproduce this behaviour, but didn't find out (yet).

Comment

Hi Stuart,

Originally posted by quatermass View Post
          No need to uninstall it is there.
          I suggested to uninstall and reinstall because what you describe makes me think to a mix of files from new and older versions of IV.

Laurent

Comment

Originally posted by RoyBatty View Post
            Using the batch file with its "DOS window" opening every time to run the GIMP is quite annoying (at least for me). I'm going back to IV 4.0 and hope this will be fixed in next version...
            I have tried and found that the problem is come from the way Windows Shell (or what ever) parse the command line. When the file path contain white space, it will not be parsed correctly.

Using batch file can solve the problem, but the DOS window may look a bit annoy.

So I use vbs scripting instead.

Create a vbs file named "OpenWithGimp.vbs" with following contain:

'--------------------------------------------------------------

Dim arg
            Dim whsShell
            Dim strCommand

Set arg=Wscript.Arguments

Set whsShell=Wscript.CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")

strCommand = """C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\bin\gimp-win-remote.exe"" gimp-2.4.exe"

strCommand = strCommand & " """ & arg(0) & """"

whsShell.Run(strCommand)

'--------------------------------------------------------------------
            Then use it as a "editor", no window will open.

Comment

Hi Phan Vinh,

Thanks for your vbs script. It works perfectly well. I hope it will be useful for people who don't like that a command-line window appears for a short time.

I have tried and found that the problem is come from the way Windows Shell (or what ever) parse the command line. When the file path contain white space, it will not be parsed correctly.
              I don't believe it is the reason. Here, the call to my batch file contains a space (C:\Program Files\IrfanView\OpenWithGimp.bat) and it works perfectly. Rather I suspect the problem with the GIMP is that the command needs not one but two arguments: GIMP executable and image file name. Also, it seems that the way IrfanView handles the content of the box in the dialog has changed between version 4.00 and 4.10 and now something is dropped somewhere.

Laurent

Comment

Working...
              X