• Show
Clear All

Reported Problem with Unicode in JPEG comments and when saving to HTML

Hi!

Long-time user, first time poster.

Let's cut to the chase. Here is the bug:

1. Open a JPEG file.
    2. Go to Image -> Information -> Comment
    3. Try to type in (or copy-paste) the following Hungarian text: "Ásvány gyűjtemény." (Which means "mineral collection", but that's besides the point. The point is, this text has several Unicode characters in it.)
    4. Uncheck "Allow Unicode PlugIn to handle original Comment text".
    5. Check "Allow Unicode PlugIn to handle new Comment text on writing".
    6. Click Write.
    7. Click Comment again - note how the text was modified to "Ásvány gyujtemény." (An "ű" was converted to an "u".)

Wait, it gets worse.

8. Copy-paste the original text again.
    9. Check "Allow Unicode PlugIn to handle original Comment text". Note how the displayed text is immediately butchered to some crap characters.

In fact, I could find NO combination of any of the Unicode related checkboxes that would've preserved my text for me as is upon writing/displaying.

But wait, it gets worse!

10. Display this JPEG in Thumbnails, then select File -> Save selected thumbs as HTML file.

If my HTML frame.html has an #IMAGE_TEXT# placeholder in it, the comment text gets butchered again, regardless of any Unicode settings.

I'm a huge fan and long-time user of Irfanview, I've been using the "Save as HTML" feature forever to create online albums, but to be honest with you, the handling of Unicode comment text was incorrect in all versions of Irfanview I've been using, and with 4.32 it got even worse. Bad enough that it prompted me to register on this forum and report this bug.

Please, do fix this once and for all! Or if I'm doing something wrong here, please, let me know what.

I have Irfanview 4.32 installed and I also have the entire Plugin collection installed, too.

Thanks!

Responding to my own bug-report, but I just found out the following:

1. Open a JPEG file.
    2. Go to Image -> Information -> Comment
    3. Check "Allow Unicode PlugIn to handle original Comment text".
    4. Check "Allow Unicode PlugIn to handle new Comment text on writing".
    5. Copy-paste my Unicode text to the comment.
    6. Click Write.
    7. Display this JPEG in Thumbnails, then select File -> Save selected thumbs as HTML file.

The Unicode text is now properly written to the #IMAGE_TEXT# placeholder in frame.html. In fact, it is also properly displayed in full-screen view mode when $C is one of the tags put on the screen.

However, if you reload the JPEG file and look at the Comment, the text is butchered again on display already. If you now click Write, it will be incorrect in the file, in the full-screen viewer and in the HTML files. So, as long as I don't look at my already saved JPEG comment, it's handled correctly throughout Irfanview.

Comment

Working...
    X