IrfanView 4.59 - JPEG XL - Problem opening files and Thumbnail window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed IrfanView 4.59 - JPEG XL - Problem opening files and Thumbnail window

I transcoded around 1.000 files from jpeg to jpeg xl format with the official jpeg xl encoder (version 0.61) from github website.
    All jpeg xl files have a filesize of < 200 kb and not a very big resolution (<1920 pixel width and <1080 pixel height).

I started IrfanView 4.59 (JPEG XL plugin activated) and opened the thumbnail window.
    I selected a folder with 550 jpeg xl files and see thumbnails of the 525 files only!
    The program try to scan the whole directory. After 525 files the program does not show any thumbnail.
    I tried another directory with jpeg xl files and IrfanView stopped again at around 525 files.
    My computer has 16 GB RAM and I do not see any problems with out of memory or something else.

If the problem with missing thumbnails occures, the whole IrfanView program will not show any thumbnails of jpeg xl files or could not open jpeg xl files!

The only way to solve this problem is to close the program and start it again.
    Then everything is okay, but the 525 jpeg xl viewing limitation exist again.

I could test the jpeg xl files with the latest XnViewMP, which could handle the jpeg xl format, too.
    Everything is fine.

So I think something in the IrfanView thumbnail window is not compatible with jpeg xl decoder plugin.
    If I open different jpeg xl files in the main window, IrfanView can open and show them.

Computer: Intel i8700k, 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 64bit latest 21H2 update
    Last edited by James Pous; 01.12.2021, 07:23 PM.

Same problem here. After loading 508 thumbnails the JPEG XL plugin stopped working. Seems like a bug. Please report the issue to Irfan Skiljan. The contact information is in IrfanView in Help -> About IrfanView dialog.
    My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

The author of IrfanView could fix the problem! Please visit the official IrfanView download site

IrfanView PlugIns

and look for the updated JPEG XL plugin in the area:

PlugIns updated after the version 4.59:

There you can find the latest JPEG XL plugin (32bit and 64bit) with version 4.59.1. It works perfect!

Comment

Thank you for update.
        My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Working...
        X