No announcement yet.

Conversion to webp format kills Exif data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WebP was made for web, EXIF increases the file size, that is undesirable in images for web, so IrfanView doesn't save EXIF in WebP.
    My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

IrfanView probably needs to parse Exif data by itself, and it takes work to implement it. The library he uses only handles the graphics. Maybe you could write to Irfan by e-mail and politely request it. He chooses not to respond to the forum. The size of the data doesn't necessarily have to be huge.

Apple Iphone could have worked with normal JPEG, but has chosen to present an image of "disruptive progressivity".

XnView writes Exif but is unable to read it back. I don't know of any similar program that fully works.

Comment

Originally posted by JendaLinda View Post
        WebP was made for web, EXIF increases the file size, that is undesirable in images for web, so IrfanView doesn't save EXIF in WebP.
        JPEG is made for web too. Invalid argument.

Comment

Originally posted by j7n View Post
          XnView writes Exif but is unable to read it back. I don't know of any similar program that fully works.
          I compressed my photos into webp and copied them to my phone. It displayed webm but haven't shown metadata. Are you really sure XnView supports EXIF in webp?

do you know a viewer that shows EXIF in wepb?
          Last edited by insectinegate; 22.03.2023, 08:27 AM.

Comment

JPEG is a versatile format and its developement predates the web. It even supports RGB for excat color reproduction and CMYK for use in printing. VP8 doesn't support any of that. Also VP8 has by design less dynamic range than standard JPEG, so the precision of color reproduction is worse. VP8 just can't preserve the original image fidelity. Anyway, if you're satisfied with quality of the compressed photos, so be it, it's your photos.
            My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

JPEG is a versatile format and its developement predates the web. It even supports RGB for excat color reproduction and CMYK for use in printing. VP8 doesn't support any of that. Also VP8 has by design less dynamic range than standard JPEG, so the precision of color reproduction is worse. VP8 just can't preserve the original image fidelity. Anyway, if you're satisfied with quality of the compressed photos, so be it, it's your photos.
              I don't know what you want to convince me, but webp gives a smaller size with the same quality (or even better) and it is newer. JPEG is a dinosaur that belongs in the ash heap of history.

Comment

JPEG is old but WebP is not the adequate replacement. I'm just trying to explain why software develpoers are not bothered to add EXIF support in WebP.

Comment

I looked at the output of XnView Classic with a hex editor and exif was appended to the end. Perhaps there are/were multiple ways of recording it. I've not tried MP, which is a heavier application. WebP only supports YCbCr 4:2:0, which means highly saturated, red images will have a reduced resolution. Perhaps this is not noticeable on most photos taken directly with a camera that have limited sharpness if not downsampled.
                  Last edited by j7n; 23.03.2023, 05:50 AM.

Comment

JPEG is old but WebP is not the adequate replacement. I'm just trying to explain why software develpoers are not bothered to add EXIF support in WebP.
                    Well, what is the replacement then? It should be supported by my xiaomi phone.

Comment

j7n
                      I looked one more time on photos converted to webm with xnview. Seems it has EXIF data, but it's not displayed by my phone ;( Sad.

Comment

There were several attempts to replace JPEG but no one reached the goal. JPEG was just too ahead it's time so it became the golden standard. There are few competing image formats in developement, each of them has its strengths and weakneses and they're not ready for general use yet.

Comment

Working...
                        X