No announcement yet.

Irfanview 4.35 converts a picture into the display profile when saving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported Irfanview 4.35 converts a picture into the display profile when saving

ICC Color profile support has been a wonderful addition to IrfanView since version 4.10 (from memory). So THANK YOU so very much for including this :-).

At present, however, it is implemented incorrectly and degrades image quality when saving (others can't see the image accurately after saving).

When IrfanView saves an image, it converts the image into the user's ICC *monitor*/system color profile (that he/she set under "enable color management, set display/output color profile to: (Plugin)"). Although this profile is great for displaying images, it is a bad for converting images into it--and other end users will require this profile on their computer to see it accurately.

The solution should be easy: When saving, Irfanview should avoid converting images into the display profile.

A fix for this would be wonderful.
    Last edited by Gabbon; 11.01.2013, 05:33 PM.

Hi,

IV loads an image and convert it into the chosen profile. Than it is displayed. Every change you make on an image will be saved, including the conversion.
    So if you like to keep the profile and don't convert an image you have to disable the color management. The other way, load an image and do changes on the original data and calculate separate data for displaying every time a change is done will slow down IV.

I can live with this situation since I use it as a picture viewer. If I make changes I turn of the color management.

Regards
    Nils

Comment

Thanks Nils!

If it is difficult to fix, then I think it would be good at least to change the wording within Irfanview.

Instead of "Enable Color Management, set display/output color profile to: (Plugin)"... Something along the lines of: "convert into monitor/system ICC profile" would be appropriate. It would at least give the user a bit of a heads-up on what's going to take place :-) . After all, unless he/she is applying sRGB to images with no ICC profile afterwards, he/she will have no visual cue that a conversion/profile stripping has taken place.

I'm happy enough to use the program "as is," but others will easily get caught :-)

Regards,
      Bert

Comment

Working...
      X