Tip: Using Thumbnail View to Browse PDF Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tip: Using Thumbnail View to Browse PDF Files

I think I discovered something useful about IrfanView.

1. create a text file named run_by_type.cmd (a batch file) and type in:

start "" %1

and save it somewhere convenient.

2. shift-right click on that batch file and select "copy path".

3. run IrfanView and select Options / Properties/Settings / Miscellaneous and paste into one of the "Set external editors:" locations.

Now I can use the IrfanView Thumbnails to browse a directory (I like to use it for directories that have many PDFs) and by selecting a file and hitting shift-(whichever set ext. editors number I picked) I can open the file in whatever software is the default for that file. Most PDF readers don't have a browsing feature as good as IV. Works with any file (SVGs for example). You can also right-click a file and select "Open with external editor".

Matt

I'm not much familiar with stuff like batch files, so I ask you to kindly show how that works for you. It would be nice if you can show it with screenshots. TIA.
    Desktop PC: Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit • Intel Core i7 • 12 GB RAM
    Laptop PC: Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit • Intel Core i5 • 6 GB RAM
    IrfanView 4.60 • 32-bit

Comment

1. create a text file named run_by_type.cmd (a batch file)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture_20220826-155030.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	95599
      2. shift-right click on that batch file and select "copy path".

Name:	Capture_20220826-155157.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	95600
      3. run IrfanView and select Options / Properties/Settings / Miscellaneous and paste into one of the "Set external editors:" locations.

Name:	Capture_20220826-155519.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	95601
      In Thumbnails select a file and hit shift-(whichever set ext. editors number I picked - in this case shift-2) and it will open in its proper software.

Name:	Capture_20220826-160444.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	95602
      This would open in Gimp on my machine when I click shift-2

Comment

Originally posted by IrfanUserGuyxyx View Post
        (...) and it will open in its proper software.(..)
        Thanks again, IrfanUserGuyxyx!

I asked you to make it a bit clearer for me not only because of the batch file but also because you mentioned the PDF file type. After I finished the steps you taught so kindly, I launched Thumbnails, but it showed no PDF, though there were PDF files in the folder I chose.

That happened because I had set IrfanView to Load only associated types while moving through folder, since I basically use it with image files. To get the PDFs to show there I had to set the Load custom file types option and hit the Load default extensions button. Next time I opened Thumbnails I had PDFs (among other file types) showing, so I could test your batch file properly. And yes, it works like a charm!

So I thought I had to add that warning about that particular setting to help others who use your batch file. Thanks one more time! Great job!
        Last edited by Paultx; 09.09.2022, 07:56 PM.
        Desktop PC: Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit • Intel Core i7 • 12 GB RAM
        Laptop PC: Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit • Intel Core i5 • 6 GB RAM
        IrfanView 4.60 • 32-bit

Comment

Thanks! It was something I wanted for a long time.

Comment

Working...
          X