Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 10 UWP app: Please add support for Open With dialog for all supported formats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Windows 10 UWP app: Please add support for Open With dialog for all supported formats

Hello,

Windows 10 UWP app does great job with opening all kind of file formats including RAW files like .CR2. But for some reason I am not able to select IrfanView UPW app as default app to open CR2 files in Windows 10 settings. Nor is the app shown in Open With dialog for this format. Same goes for .NEF files etc.

With JPG files I can set-up IrfanView app as an default, also I can access it in Open With dialog. Would it be possible to do the same for all image files as well, including RAW formats?

Thanks

edit: Decided to change the title from "Windows 10 UWP app: Please add support for Open With dialog for all supported formats" to "Windows 10 UWP app: Please add support for Open With/default viewer for RAW files" as it will probably makes more sense. But yea, in general it would be great if UWP IrfanView app could support all viewable image files with "Open With dialog" as well as ability to set IrfanView app as default image viewer for them in Windows 10 settings
    Last edited by jcik68; 16.01.2018, 03:56 PM.

In theory, this should already work, as you wish, I suppose. But it looks that we are a kind of short on the app users, there have been some app-related questions here, but not many useful answers. I do have a Windows 10 laptop, but had to google, what UWP means.

I hope, I'm wrong, though, and someone will be able to give some help.
    IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

It works OK with x86 and x64 .exe software of IrfanView. But UWP Windows 10 app is missing it for RAW formats. If I understood it correctly from developers tutorial, developer need to adds a few lines of code that will specify that an app can support "Open With dialog" and can be set as default app for specific formats in Windows 10.

A user cant do anything about it I guess. Also, IrfanView non-UWP app is causing default apps settings to reset all the time to Microsoft Photos in case anybody was wondering why I am using UWP version

Comment

Aha, this forced switching to the "MS Photo" thing only happens to me occasionally, after major Win10 updates. I'm trying to live with it, but I have also switched most of my activities to Linux. (Where I am missing IrfanView more than anything else.)

On Windows, IV is my default viewer for all raw formats (showing the preview images only), while I am also using most of the 10 external editors (raw editors, gimp, exiftool and such).

Running the Extensions dialogue with administrator rights seems to fix some issues, but some manual work is also needed here and there.

Report, please, when/if the MS developers will add those few lines of code. And have a nice day!
        IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by Jacal View Post
          Report, please, when/if the MS developers will add those few lines of code. And have a nice day!
          I meant that the developer of IrfanView Windows 10 UWP app himself has to add those few lines of code to achieve full support of "Open With dialog" and default app for RAW files formats, not MS.

Btw. a few others Windows 10 UWP photo editors actually already support the Open With/set default for RAW files functionality even though they can´t open those files (MS Photos *cough* *cough*) or they don´t do it correctly (Fotor for example). So you see it makes me sad that there is actually an app that does it correctly (IrfanView) but doesn't support these Windows 10 UWP features.

Actually these features can help the app to attract more attention, because if you have file and no app to open it, windows 10 will search Microsoft Store for compatible UWP apps with that format - but compatibility isn't tested, it just rely on info from developers who included those few extra lines of code for specific file formats
          Last edited by jcik68; 16.01.2018, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Sorry, I wasn't focused enough to understand you correctly.

You can report this problem to the developer, Irfan Skiljan. (His e-mail is in Help -> About IrfanView.) Might help.
            IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Working...
            X