"IrfanView Thumbnails" doesn't support drag/drop into Thunderbird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested "IrfanView Thumbnails" doesn't support drag/drop into Thunderbird

So I got around to using Irfanview Thumbnails for the first time. I liked how fast it showed thumbnails for a particular directory.

So, I used it this morning to find a particular image I wanted to embed into an E-mail message I was writing to my lady friend. I found the image, then tried to drag/drop into the message. It didn't do what explorer does. Instead, it opened up the image in Irfanview.

So, I ended up finding the image again using Explorer.

I'm using Irfanview 4.10 and the latest version of Thunderbird.

D&D is one of the features I'm missing (more then Unicode ;-)
    There are threads about this.
    It's an OLE feature and not so easy to integrate in a program not build with MFC.

But one thing could be implemented easyly (I would say 20 lines of code):
    Open location of file in Windows Explorer and select it.
    Then you could skip the step to search it.

Comment

I would recommend that you set Windows Explorer as one of your external editors. Sadly in IrfanView 4.1 you can no longer call it directly because you cannot have option switches in the path. Instead you need to use a Shortcut. Easiest way to create one is to find the Explorer shortcut in your Start menu, right click and drag it to a convenient folder and choose Copy Here (I put mine in My Pictures). If you then right click the new shortcut and select Properties you can edit the options from /n,/e,C:\ to /n,/select, (note that it ends with comma and no space after).
      Now all you need to do is to type the path to the shortcut in one of the External editor boxes in IV (View>Properties>Misc.3) remembering that a shortcut name has no suffix.
      To use just right click on a Thumbnail, select the correct external editor and there you have an Explorer window set to the right file for you to drag wherever you want it.

Comment

Always amazing what people are doing to get a workaround.
        Thanks for sharing this trick :-)
        So I don't have to wait that Irfan adds an "Open containg folder" menu entry.
        What I would prefer ;-)

Comment

No need to open Explorer at all, just use IrfanView's Open dialog. Almost any Open/Save dialog window can be treated like a mini-Explorer window. You can even drag from one Open dialog to another.
          Its: Belongs to "It"
          It's: Shortened form of "It is"
          ---------------------
          Lose: Fail to keep
          Loose: Not tight

---------------------
          Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Working...
          X